15k for a stock 06 LJ with 68k miles?

Rhrrsn

Overall the LJ is spotless and rust free. I already own a TJ and I’m contemplating if the LJ would be better for my lifestyle/family. We do some light trails but the Jeep is used mostly for me to DD to work. We have 2 kids who love riding in the Jeep and I’m wondering #1 is 15k a fair price for a 06 LJ with 68k miles and #2 is the LJ much different from a TJ as far as ride quality and a little more room. Thanks everyone.

The Unlimited models are not that much better, honestly. I say that in terms of a livability standpoint. It's still the same thing as a regular TJ, you just get a bit more room in the back, which can help, but do not for one minute think that it's a total game changer.

The Unlimited will ride a bit better due to its longer wheelbase, this is true, but again, it's not going to be a complete game changer.

That price is good though, so if it's rust free and in good shape, it's worth it.

That's a good price for a east coast LJ check that frame and CHECK THAT FRAME. for rust!!!!!

Reactions: Irun
I wouldn’t want a regular sized TJ.

I’d buy it for that.

Your kids will appreciate it.

I've had short wheebase jeeps and my LJ. I prefer the LJ's longer wheelbase and the extra room.

Do I prefer those features enough to sell a perfectly good TJ just to get them? Probably not, but it would depend on the particular vehicles involved.

If you want the LJ, It won't be around long at $15K if it is rust free.

Last edited:
Reactions: Apparition
Having owned an ‘01 TJ for 8 years and currently at 8.5 years with an ‘05 LJ, the ride and handling of an LJ is a dramatic advantage in daily driving. Both of these Jeeps had/have and OME lift but the LJ is more stable at all speeds. The additional cargo space behind the rear seat also makes it more livable. I do a lot of traveling and had a roof rack for my SWB TJ. With the LJ, storage has never been an issue.

I personally couldn’t go back to a SWB TJ.

Last edited:
TJ/LJ....

The money is all over the place on it. It really is. Definitely the worst vehicles to buy at auctions (from a dealer point of view) and as a private seller they're just absolutely all over the place.

If you like it enough to own it everyday is the most important question. If you do only you know in your gut if it's worth the asking price. Nobody here can answer that for you.

The LJ has a much larger towing capacity than the TJ. I think it's 3500# vs 2000#. I don't know if that makes any difference but it will help to pull something for camping and whatnot.

Sometimes I wish I had an LJ but usually I'm glad I don't because off roading is the main goal of my almost stock Rubicon. I took the hitch off and prefer the shorter wheel base.

The LJ has a much larger towing capacity than the TJ. I think it's 3500# vs 2000#. I don't know if that makes any difference but it will help to pull something for camping and whatnot.

Sometimes I wish I had an LJ but usually I'm glad I don't because off roading is the main goal of my almost stock Rubicon. I took the hitch off and prefer the shorter wheel base.
I can relate. My location and yours isn't that far apart. Perhaps wheeling the moab and even the Rubicon it self the longer wheelbase pays off but in the Allegheny mountains no way.
The little TJ and small stance when in the midst of said mountains inches mean absolutely everything.

I had an LJ, and regretted selling it. I got tired of looking for a replacement, and settled for a TJ. A week later I was entertaining the idea of an LJ again, and a couple months later, I bought one and sold the TJ. It's no contest for me.

Aside from that, your price sounds pretty good. Not the deal of century, but if it really is clean, you could be waiting months to find a similar deal. If this one ticks your boxes (color, options, condition, history, etc) then I would jump. If it is the wrong color, wrong trans, etc, and you're willing to wait for the right one.... Then I would wait.