17 degree pinion angle

gatertamer

Mud dauber
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Is 17 degree pinion angle too extreme been running it for five years and all of the sudden most of my suspension parts have failed it’s kind of a moot question as I have a d/c driveshaft and sye on the way. Just curious what angle others are running

IMG_0125.jpeg

IMG_0124.jpeg

You should be measuring from the flat area on the back of your pinion. The spot you are measuring from in the picture is not showing the true angle because of the slant slightly upward. The other spot you can measure your true pinion angle is on the face of the yoke.

Reactions: gatertamer
If you look on the back of your pumpkin there’s a machined flat spot. That’s where I measured mine.
You want the shaft of the pinion to be as parallel as possible to the drive shaft.

Reactions: gatertamer
If you look on the back of your pumpkin there’s a machined flat spot. That’s where I measured mine.
You want the shaft of the pinion to be as parallel as possible to the drive shaft.

Not parallel as possible. You have to account for axle wrap. With a double cardan driveshaft, it will be a bit low so that the pinion will straighten out with engine load behind it. The correct pinion angle is the one that doesn't result in vibrations.

Reactions: TJ Jim
Not parallel as possible. You have to account for axle wrap. With a double cardan driveshaft, it will be a bit low so that the pinion will straighten out with engine load behind it. The correct pinion angle is the one that doesn't result in vibrations.

You are correct. I’m thinking I’m at 1° drop on mine. He has not got a double Cardin yet and that changes things too. Pinion shaft should be parallel to his transfer case output shaft.