17 or 18 inch Jeep factory rims on my lifted 2005 LJ?

Keg

TJ Enthusiast
Hey all ! I am getting ready to lift my Jeep with a 1.25 body lift and 2.5 spring lift and going to do a 5:13 gear change ( I have the auto trans) . I currently run 16 inch rubicon factory rims . I never like the idea of using a adapter plate so I stuck with the largest rim size factory rim you could get in that year model ( a 16 inch on rubicons) that matches the bolt pattern on my Jeep . I am kinda weird cause I like the factory rim look but a lot of the 17inch and 18 inch that come factory on the newer jeeps looks like mine now . So I was going to get some opinions here in the subject ? I like that the width on my Jeep wheels and tires fit under my rubicon factory flares I added , so I am not looking to have my tires all sticking out and I am thinking the adapter would push the wheels out and also create a weak spot . Anyone on here have adapters on their LJ or TJ and run the 17 or 18 inch factory rims? Any opinions on this good or bad? Thanks, KEG

What kind of wheelin do you plan to do with this? Pavement or mild off-road bigger rims would be OK. Any hard off-road where you want to air down the tires I'm not sure the bigger rims make sense, you need some rubber under those rims...

I had adapters with 17" JK rims. I replaced them with 17" rims in the TJ bolt pattern. Neither stuck out put past my fender flares, but my flares are 6" wide.

There was a link in another thread that allowed you to put in different tire size, wheel offset, etc. I used it to figure how far to the outer edge of the tires.

What kind of wheelin do you plan to do with this? Pavement or mild off-road bigger rims would be OK. Any hard off-road where you want to air down the tires I'm not sure the bigger rims make sense, you need some rubber under those rims...
I do go off road on weekends quite a bit so maybe not a good idea ?

I had adapters with 17" JK rims. I replaced them with 17" rims in the TJ bolt pattern. Neither stuck out put past my fender flares, but my flares are 6" wide.

There was a link in another thread that allowed you to put in different tire size, wheel offset, etc. I used it to figure how far to the outer edge of the tires.
Thanks man ! I appreciate it ! I only have the stock rubicon flares , four inch I think ?

What is a C rated tire ? Excuse my ignorance . I am running a 16 inch factory rubicon wheel currently ( my Jeep is not a rubicon however )

The load rating.

16" and 17" tires are largely limited to E (and some D) rated tires, with very few (if any at all) good tires in a C rating.

An E rated tire is meant for a truck, which is much, much heavier than our TJ. This is the reason so many people complain about their TJs riding like crap (aside from too much tire pressure). They are running E rated tires (like you currently are on your 16s) which have stiff as hell sidewalls meant for heavy trucks.

A C rated tire is meant for a lighter vehicle like a TJ and will ride night-and-day better, believe me. You'll notice it instantly.

Unfortunately most people don't know (or pay attention) to any of this, and just throw whatever tire they want on there, having no regard whatsoever for the load rating.

If all you plan to do is off-road, an E rated tire is fine.

However, if you drive it on the street the majority of the time, I think you're doing yourself a disservice by running E rated tires.

It's unfortunate that it's so hard to find C rated tires in 16" and 17" sizes. That's why I'm sticking with 15" wheels.

The load rating.

16" and 17" tires are largely limited to E (and some D) rated tires, with very few (if any at all) good tires in a C rating.

An E rated tire is meant for a truck, which is much, much heavier than our TJ. This is the reason so many people complain about their TJs riding like crap (aside from too much tire pressure). They are running E rated tires (like you currently are on your 16s) which have stiff as hell sidewalls meant for heavy trucks.

A C rated tire is meant for a lighter vehicle like a TJ and will ride night-and-day better, believe me. You'll notice it instantly.

Unfortunately most people don't know (or pay attention) to any of this, and just throw whatever tire they want on there, having no regard whatsoever for the load rating.

If all you plan to do is off-road, an E rated tire is fine.

However, if you drive it on the street the majority of the time, I think you're doing yourself a disservice by running E rated tires.

It's unfortunate that it's so hard to find C rated tires in 16" and 17" sizes. That's why I'm sticking with 15" wheels.
Cool! Good to know 😊 thanks !

Yeah, I have 17" wheels with E-rated tires. Eager to go to 15x8, not sure if I will stay at 33" or go to 32". Problem is, I have a TON of tread left and can't justify spending $ on new wheels and tires.

Reactions: Keg
I run 35s (315/75R16) on my 16” Moab rims. I went with E-rated Duratracs, but have had no issues with harshness. I had a chance to flex the sidewall before the tires went on, and although the Duratrac sidewall was quite thick, it was surprisingly flexible.

I do run 1.25” spacers. I went with Spidertrax since they are USA made with known alloys and known to be reliable. They are also hub centric both in the axle side and the wheel side. I wasn’t willing to take a chance on some cheap imported spacers.

My 285/70R17 BFG KO2s are C rated. I’m running them on JK Recon rims with 1.25” adapters at 26 psi and I couldn’t be happier. Tuck perfectly under the painted factory flares, which are the same width as Rubicon flares. Got a great deal on both... $200 for all 5 rims and $870 for 5 tires.

i am running 17" jk wheels with stock goodyear wranglers on them at 25psi and 1.25 spacer they are just under my stock flares on a stock 04 X light offroad and joy rides on weekends

I run 35s (315/75R16) on my 16” Moab rims. I went with E-rated Duratracs, but have had no issues with harshness. I had a chance to flex the sidewall before the tires went on, and although the Duratrac sidewall was quite thick, it was surprisingly flexible.
I don't know if this is specific to the Duratracs but I had the same experience. I currently have 2 sets of wheels/tires, both Duratracs. The 285/75r16 E rated run as smooth as the 265/75r16 C rated.

Reactions: Steel City 06
My 285/70R17 BFG KO2s are C rated. I’m running them on JK Recon rims with 1.25” adapters at 26 psi and I couldn’t be happier. Tuck perfectly under the painted factory flares, which are the same width as Rubicon flares. Got a great deal on both... $200 for all 5 rims and $870 for 5 tires.
What a swinging deal. How did you learn that? I’m all in.

What a swinging deal. How did you learn that? I’m all in.

Tires were on eBay. New set of four. JL Rubicon takeoffs are available too, and they’re C rated as well. I paid less for a set of 5 with under 50 miles for my last Jeep. This spare was one rotation... Still had the nubs.

Wheels were Facebook Marketplace. They were from a 2018 JK and looked like new.

Very pleased with how it came together. You just have to be patient, and be ready to pull the trigger when a deal comes up that you want.

B817ECA1-AA38-48F4-A3E5-0E0F2AD32EC3.jpeg

Reactions: 2001slvrstntj
This is what confuzzles me about this whole C and E smoothness you all are claiming:

My brothers JK is on 265/70R18 E rated GoodYear Wrangler Adventure with kevlar. Additionally, his tires are aired to 37 psi because some dumb-tard at Jeep thought it was a bright idea to include a tire pressure sensor into a offroad vehicle and set it to that idiotically high setting.
If i did my tjforum math correctly, that is an ultimate combination to loose all your teeth and have all windows shattered at the 1st pot hole. But, that is not the case, and his Jeep actually rides very smoothly on very shit-tastic upstate roads.

Recently i swapped from Fox to RS5000X shocks just to see what the fuss is about, and i will go as far as saying that my brothers JK rides just as smooth (if not smoother) as my TJ on RS5000x.
In comparison, i am at 28psi on 265/70R17 SL or load index of 115 . From what i understand, C rated tires have load index of 114 which makes mine nearly equivalent to it.