17" temporary spare tire on 99 TJ

99greenTJ

Supporting Member
I'm in a wheel tire change. I found this 17" temporary spare we had. Going to use it, if I don't get a lot of push back
I know it's not correct, but I don't see alot of safety red flags.

Keep in mind the possible 2 significant different diameters will cause 2 different axle speeds in the diff. For short distances to get home OK id say, but blasting down the highway for miles will not make the diff happy. If you have a mechanical locker...have fun with that one.

I'm in a wheel tire change. I found this 17" temporary spare we had. Going to use it, if I don't get a lot of push back

17" is just the diameter of the wheel, it doesn't really tell you or us anything of use.

Rolling circumference is what matters, or more easily, just the diameter of the tire.

I don't have a posi. rear end, rear
wheels turn in opposite directions, when spun when on lift.
As mentioned, posi. rear wouldn't play well with the different tires?
Roll circumference yes.

If the spare tire diameter is the same or close to the normal tires, then the wheel size does not matter as long as it fits.

If the spare tire diameter is 17", then it is about 12" shorter than the smallest tires a TJ ever came from the factory with.

As mentioned above.
Tire size, not wheel size, is what matters.
The diameters should be close to not cause issues.
However, if the 17" wheel is from a later Jeep model (ie. JK) you will need an adapter to install it.

The 17" toy tire bolts up great
Any tips on a Jeep cover for the tire
20240701_065313.jpg

For cheap you can get a full sized actual jeep wheel to match the others. granted the space save is better than nothing but their limited on speed and would likely come apart if you were in the boonies and needed it.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
Last edited:
This is a real bad idea for a Jeep. You will be sorry if you ever have to use it.

Get a full size spare, they are cheap on FB marketplace, junk yard, etc.

There has been no clarification on whether or not this is about wheel size or tire size. For all we know this is what he has going on...
20200131_133001.jpg

... In which case, this little spare tire is too big!