1964 Corvette

Kon

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hi everyone,

A friend is thinking of buying a 1964 (C2) corvette Sting Ray convertible. This a quite rare classic car for Greece, so it’s actually difficult to determine the market value of the car with essentially no transactions taking place for similar ones.

Anyway, the owner asks for about 50k (Euro), and they are currently in discussions, not so much for the price, at least for now, but more to be sure (both of them) that they want to proceed. The guy who owns it is a collector of classic cars and has not yet listed it in an ad, rather than my friend (also a classic car collector) heard about it a from common acquaintance.

From what I understand the seller is not keen, and my friend who currently owns more than 20 classic cars, but is almost entirely focused in Italian and then British of the 60s.

In any case, since US is THE market for such a car, I grabbed this chance to post this and learn something myself. So any thoughts both on collectible value and things to look for, specifically for this particular car are welcome!

To give a bit more info, it’s the 327cid with 300hp, a 4-speed manual transmission and a factory hardtop. All black, inside and out.

Currently I don’t know more re it’s history , but here is a picture.

EE392DC9-6752-4E5F-83F3-890FC1DC7407.jpeg

50k doesn't sound far off TBH?
They're very desirable and plentiful here in the states, it's all about "originality" though to bring the big bucks.

50k doesn't sound far off TBH?
They're very desirable and plentiful here in the states, it's all about "originality" though to bring the big bucks.

I'm sure originality is the dominant factor that determines the price.

Since my friend continues his research around the car, I saw the serial number which is totally different than how current VINs are. I learnt that VINs are we know them today created in 1987+ (In my defence for my ignorance, even I wasn't born in 1987 :p).

Anyway, I get that the serial number provides few info on the model which makes authentication of its originality more difficult...

Assuming it’s as clean as it looks, I don’t think that price is that far off.

I agree with previous posters, they are in the range of $60k restored here in my area.
Some special editions might fetch higher prices.

I'm sure originality is the dominant factor that determines the price.

Since my friend continues his research around the car, I saw the serial number which is totally different than how current VINs are. I learnt that VINs are we know them today created in 1987+ (In my defence for my ignorance, even I wasn't born in 1987 :p).

Anyway, I get that the serial number provides few info on the model which makes authentication of its originality more difficult...
Not the only thing?
That keeps the value up, but depending on the package the Vette came with can make a world of difference here on value.
It's all in the details.

Reactions: Akitadog
So any thoughts both on collectible value and things to look for, specifically for this particular car are welcome!

With Corvettes, at least C1, C2 and C3 cars, original parts and "numbers" are key. However, since you are in an area with few Corvettes, that likely isn't as big of a deal as it is here in the US and I would think overall condition is the biggest factor in your area. It appears to be a nice car and to be priced about where it should be.

One thing to look at is the condition of the rear suspension. If it has worn/rotted bushings, it can get expensive to rebuild.

Reactions: Kon
With Corvettes, at least C1, C2 and C3 cars, original parts and "numbers" are key.

Talking about numbers, I also got this photo is the car’s serial number. From a first quick search I understood that it validates its specs declared specs.

5461C4C2-7BC9-446B-8296-D5E6116D883E.jpeg

Those will give you basic information. If the gas tank has never been out of the car, then the original build sheet may still with the car (on top of the tank). That will help determine how original the car is, what options came on the car, and it may increase the value a little. If your friend buys it, he might want to drop the tank to see if it still exists.

Reactions: ColoJeep and Kon
Hard to say what it should bring in your country, but in the US for that price it should be in very good condition and numbers matching. Only thing I can tell you from the pic is those wheels probably aren't original.

And FYI, most of Vettes made in those days were convertibles. Don't let them sell you on it being rare because of that, the coupes are actually the rare models.

Those will give you basic information. If the gas tank has never been out of the car, then the original build sheet may still with the car (on top of the tank). That will help determine how original the car is, what options came on the car, and it may increase the value a little. If your friend buys it, he might want to drop the tank to see if it still exists.

Thanks, good to know about the build sheet on top of the gas tank.

Hard to say what it should bring in your country, but in the US for that price it should be in very good condition and numbers matching. Only thing I can tell you from the pic is those wheels probably aren't original.
What did you spot to say that?

And FYI, most of Vettes made in those days were convertibles. Don't let them sell you on it being rare because of that, the coupes are actually the rare models.

Indeed. I didn't know but this story was a good excuse for me to search more for C2 Corvettes and found out that convertibles with the 4-speed manual were the most common.

I wouldn't mind personally, since I think that this is the best combo for that particular car. I would prefer to have something that I would enjoy every time I take it for a ride rather than having the bragging rights that my car is more rare and thus has a higher value.

What did you spot to say that?

I've never seen them body colored like that, they're usually bare metal.

It might have been an option, not sure, but I'd bet those are reproductions. If they are original and someone just painted them I'd find that person and kick them in the nuts.

• Haha