1970 CJ rotting away

R49

Forum odd guy
Lifetime Supporting Member
E9CBAE46-7E2B-48F6-9372-4B0BCF05707D.jpeg

So I’ve been driving by this old CJ on my way to work for 5 years now. Last summer I saw the older gentleman sitting on his porch so I pulled in and said hello and inquired if he was willing to sell. Before he could answer, his wife came out and said flat out no it’s not for sale at any price. They bought it brand new in 1970 and it has sentimental value to them. While I respect their not wanting to sell, it just sucks that it’s just sitting there deteriorating.

That's very common with old cars and trucks. At least that one is sitting up on a trailer where it can "breath" and not down in the dirt like many wind up. I've seen and offered to buy a few cars over the years that were worth saving, but the owners wouldn't sale, even thought it was obvious they couldn't afford to do anything with it. It's usually the dream of "some day". Hell, there was a '61 Impala near me that I tried to buy a few times, but the owner who was in prison for an extended stay just wouldn't let it go.

I know these people without knowing them. If you really want that Jeep, I suggest you strike up a sincere, legitimate relationship with them. They have real sentimental value in it and want to know who the next caretaker is. Otherwise, they might take it to the grave with them, figuratively and literally.

Not necessarily. They probably have other, more important "life" things to worry about, or maybe they're to a point in life where they physically can't drive it. Point is, life happens, and some things get pushed aside.
That Jeep is in rough shape. Sure they’re probably clinging to some old memories they had in it, but let’s not kid ourselves. If that Jeep actually meant something to them, it would have been somewhat preserved instead of left to rot in the yard.

That Jeep is in rough shape. Sure they’re probably clinging to some old memories they had in it, but let’s not kid ourselves. If that Jeep actually meant something to them, it would have been somewhat preserved instead of left to rot in the yard.

Not that it really matters, but someone took the time to put it up on a trailer (hard surface, away from ground moisture) and then tilted that trailer (sloped to drain). That is a significant step in preventing rot and preserving the vehicle. Actually, I don't see any difference between the storage of that Jeep and someone who stores their Jeep in an open parking lot like at an apartment complex. (hard surface, sloped to drain, uncovered) ;)

I'd say that a vehicle stored in a shared open parking lot is being neglected more so than the Jeep being stored on a trailer away from everyone. But I can't imagine anyone here who actually cares about their Jeep storing it in an open parking lot because people who actually give a shit wouldn't do that. :oops:

Do you see it?

Reactions: Rcroane
Not that it really matters, but someone took the time to put it up on a trailer (hard surface, away from ground moisture) and then tilted that trailer (sloped to drain). That is a significant step in preventing rot and preserving the vehicle. Actually, I don't see any difference between the storage of that Jeep and someone who stores their Jeep in an open parking lot like at an apartment complex. (hard surface, sloped to drain, uncovered) ;)

I'd say that a vehicle stored in a shared open parking lot is being neglected more so than the Jeep being stored on a trailer away from everyone. But I can't imagine anyone here who actually cares about their Jeep storing it in an open parking lot because people who actually give a shit wouldn't do that. :oops:

Do you see it?
Nice try, but I live in a gated community and I don’t let my shit get rained in constantly. My Jeep also runs. You were saying?

I had a 1969 CJ5 in the early/mid 1970s. It was in great original condition and I can only imagine what it looks like now. It's probably just as well that I don't know.

I have a 1955 F100 just sitting in the yard at my sisters house has been for the last 8 years. Every so often someone comes and offers to buy it.

I bought the truck for $500 in 2005. Took it apart in two days. And it’s been in that state ever since.

Yes I have plans for it. No it’s not for sale. But like said life happens. And it’s not a priority.

Reactions: Rcroane and BlueC
What happened? Did we lose a member? Now it looks like I was rambling to myself. :ROFLMAO:

That CJ doesn't look bad for it's age. The only rust I can see is the spot where the tire rubbed the body inside wheel well and the brake drums. The paint looks like primer and some paint but not rusted.
Montana is pretty low humidity. Five years in other places in the country and it certainly wouldn't look like that!

It needs to be taken out to play with other jeeps! :)

Reactions: BlueC
I have a 1955 F100 just sitting in the yard at my sisters house has been for the last 8 years. Every so often someone comes and offers to buy it.

I bought the truck for $500 in 2005. Took it apart in two days. And it’s been in that state ever since.

Yes I have plans for it. No it’s not for sale. But like said life happens. And it’s not a priority.
Big plans one day

B25C18BE-DAAA-4A98-9A00-28FCDB26FBD0.jpeg