1997 Acura Integra Type R auctioned for $63,800

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
This clearly shows that the landscape of "collectible" cars is changing. My generation is now at the age where they're starting to snatch up the cars from their youth:

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/10/01/1997-acura-integra-type-r-auction-63800/

I had a chance to drive one way back when. It's a fun car, but it's still a 4 cylinder, and by no means whatsoever would I pay that price.

Still, it shows that things are changing!

Reactions: MaloStapalo
Amazing what people will pay for a car or a little nostalgia. All I want is an 80s square body chevy:risas3:

Ive always wanted to attend a Barrett Jackson auction, I like that most of the cars are how they rolled off the block back in the day

Reactions: Chris
Yep, in this case someone is paying for nostalgia, no doubt.

If you pay attention, you'll notice that the vehicles of the 80s and 90s are starting to become collectible (well, the cool ones at least).

I will say that no matter what, I'm not paying that sort of money for a vehicle unless it has more than 4 cylinders... that's for sure.

Yea, Doug DeMuro did a video on that car back in early August. The Japanese sports cars of the 90s look to be iconic car of that decade and 90s nostalgia is a big driver nowadays. Just look at some of the biggest internet memes when it comes to nostalgia. I agree that it's strange seeing a 4 cylinder car so highly sought after sell for so much for its performance, but it does seem to be a pretty lightweight car as well.

https://www.autotrader.com/car-vide...-integra-type-r-shooting-valu-281474979873942

Reactions: Chris
This clearly shows that the landscape of "collectible" cars is changing. My generation is now at the age where they're starting to snatch up the cars from their youth:

I had a chance to drive one way back when. It's a fun car, but it's still a 4 cylinder, and by no means whatsoever would I pay that price.

Yup, when I was in high school I had a poster of the first year 03 Rubicon. Now I have one parked outside :)

With all the Jap imports over here I've had 97 Integra...V Tec engine wouldn't redline till 9500rpm, my DOHC Civic was great too awesome for around town and stuck like crap to a blanket on the roads....but it didn't have the soul of my TJ

Reactions: Chris and ac_

If i could only convince my husband into selling his[emoji847]
2e57216e96655f6fa0cdc8004358604e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and Chris
The top bidder must have had a heart attack when he realized he put down an extra 0. :risas3:

These cars are cool and I recall always liking the look but honestly I would take a e36 M3 over an Integra any day simply because there's nothing more fun than a rainy day, a high power RWD(low power is fun also), and a sharp turn (kicking the rear end out at low speeds). Hell for that money I can get an E30 M3. I much prefer the looks of the one @Mrs.Saltaholic owns over the one sold.

Imagine what the price of these cars would be if Fast and Furious DID NOT come out. That movie really made the import scene explode and started a whole new generation of car enthusiasts.

This rant really makes me miss my BRZ my truck is not nearly as fun. :p

Last edited:
The top bidder must have had a heart attack when he realized he put down an extra 0. :risas3:

These cars are cool and I recall always liking the look but honestly I would take a e36 M3 over an Integra any day simply because there's nothing more fun than a rainy day, a high power RWD(low power is fun also), and a sharp turn (kicking the rear end out at low speeds). Hell for that money I can get an E30 M3. I much prefer the looks of the one @Mrs.Saltaholic owns over the one sold.

Imagine what the price of these cars would be if Fast and Furious DID NOT come out. That movie really made the import scene explode and started a whole new generation of car enthusiasts.

This rant really makes me miss my BRZ my truck is not nearly as fun. :p

I’ve always said that no matter how cool a car is, as long as it’s FWD, it will never, ever be as fun as it would be if it was RWD. There is a reason all performance / race cars are RWD.

Reactions: Alex01
I’ve always said that no matter how cool a car is, as long as it’s FWD, it will never, ever be as fun as it would be if it was RWD. There is a reason all performance / race cars are RWD.
Rally cars :couch:

:risas3: I agree though RWD makes cars way more fun then FWD. Then ill take it one more level and say all rwd sport cars should be manual regardless if an auto can make it faster. Nothing like the connection you get from a manual on a nice windy road. One of the reasons I loved the brz because it had just enough power to have fun with.

From my dirtbike days I learned that I would rather go fast in something slow then slow in something fast.

Rally cars :couch:

:risas3: I agree though RWD makes cars way more fun then FWD. Then ill take it one more level and say all rwd sport cars should be manual regardless if an auto can make it faster. Nothing like the connection you get from a manual on a nice windy road. One of the reasons I loved the brz because it had just enough power to have fun with.

From my dirtbike days I learned that I would rather go fast in something slow then slow in something fast.

Yes... Having owned a number of E36 M3s, an E46 M3, and an E39 M5, I insist on manual transmissions and RWD. AWD can be fun, but it's to controlled. I like RWD because you actually have to be a good driver to know how to drive it. Plus, when you know how to control those drifts, it's a ton of fun.

The BRZ is a great car. Reminds me a lot of my old Miata (which most enthusiasts will refer to as the best sports car money can buy). It's small, compact, RWD, and while it doesn't sound like a lot of power on paper, it's got a ton of power for it's weight, and I don't know about you, but I'd rather drive an underpowered car to it's limit than an overpowered car to half it's limit.

If I couldn't own a Jeep, I'd hands down own another Miata. Absolutely amazing vehicles!

Yes... Having owned a number of E36 M3s, an E46 M3, and an E39 M5, I insist on manual transmissions and RWD. AWD can be fun, but it's to controlled. I like RWD because you actually have to be a good driver to know how to drive it. Plus, when you know how to control those drifts, it's a ton of fun.

The BRZ is a great car. Reminds me a lot of my old Miata (which most enthusiasts will refer to as the best sports car money can buy). It's small, compact, RWD, and while it doesn't sound like a lot of power on paper, it's got a ton of power for it's weight, and I don't know about you, but I'd rather drive an underpowered car to it's limit than an overpowered car to half it's limit.

If I couldn't own a Jeep, I'd hands down own another Miata. Absolutely amazing vehicles!
I am constantly thinking of adding a na or nb miata to my fleet but with 2 kids its hard to actually pull the trigger. I already only drive the tj around 3-4k miles a year so if I had a miata that number would be even less. Though a miata would be a fun commuter car for my 30 mile daily loop. Like I said before I completely agree with pushing a slow car to its limit over holding back in a fast car. My dad owned a 911 c4 10 years ago and it handled too well and was too fast it was hard to have fun with it because you could never get to its limit. I did have fun racing a e46 m3 up some windy hills near napa once though.

[/QUOTE]
I would take a e36 M3 over an Integra any day simply because there's nothing more fun than a rainy day, a high power RWD(low power is fun also), and a sharp turn (kicking the rear end out at low speeds).

That was my first experience driving my E36 m3 the night it came into the dealership I worked at, right turn, end got loose, hit 100 quick and bought it the next morning. Looking to sell now, had it for about 10 years. Stock, 153k miles listed for $7900... Not many bites but im not in a huge rush to offload it. Wish I had a barn to store it in and a less expensive jeep hobby!

IMG_20180707_114347.jpg

That was my first experience driving my E36 m3 the night it came into the dealership I worked at, right turn, end got loose, hit 100 quick and bought it the next morning. Looking to sell now, had it for about 10 years. Stock, 153k miles listed for $7900... Not many bites but im not in a huge rush to offload it. Wish I had a barn to store it in and a less expensive jeep hobby!

A 4 door. You really dont see those too much any more. I really like the 4 doors (probably because I have kids). If im ever seriously in the market i'll need to pick your brain about what to look for.

Reactions: IPerkWVU
I am constantly thinking of adding a na or nb miata to my fleet but with 2 kids its hard to actually pull the trigger. I already only drive the tj around 3-4k miles a year so if I had a miata that number would be even less. Though a miata would be a fun commuter car for my 30 mile daily loop. Like I said before I completely agree with pushing a slow car to its limit over holding back in a fast car. My dad owned a 911 c4 10 years ago and it handled too well and was too fast it was hard to have fun with it because you could never get to its limit. I did have fun racing a e46 m3 up some windy hills near napa once though.

I had an NB, but this time I was thinking of adding an NC Club. However, I only have two parking spaces in my garage, and with 3 kids, it would be even more impractical than the Jeep is, and then the Jeep would probably get driven less. I think it's one of those things I'll pick up once the kids are all grown up and I'm older!

Absolutely amazing cars to drove though. There's a reason all the auto magazines rave about the Miatas being the ultimate sports car. More power doesn't necessarily mean better!