1997 jeep tj instrument cluster problem

Drow631

Hey guys thanks for add. So my 97 tj, instrument cluster lights don't come onwhen my head lights are on. So I replaced my head light switch with a new one with hope that was the problem . Same issue. If I pull head light switch handle all the way out and push in slightly they illuminate but head lights don't. ( knob in between on and off) Any one have or had this issue? And solutions?

Half of mine work. And my shifter lights are out as well.
I replaced all bulbs with led(red). It sounds like you have burnt out bulbs. You can find them on line pretty easily. My problem isn't the bulbs it's getting them to illuminate when headlight switch is pulled out on the on position. I can't figure it out.

I agree. If the issue persists even with a brand new switch, that sounds like a bad wiring connection to me.

Are you sure switch knob is turned counter clockwise to turn dash lights on?
It's been so long since light switches were mounted on the dash that people forget how they function.

Last edited:
Yea same issue with new switch. I have traces all wires from harness and followed them to where ever they go looking for broken or loose connects. To no prevail. I checked fuse panel. All fuses replaced. Light switch clock wise turns on dome light. Counter clock wise turns off dome light. Does not illuminate gauges. I took my led replacement bulbs out and spun them 180 because some are polarity sensitive. Didn't do the trick. What puzzels me is if I push the switch in between parking lights and head lights it illuminates the dash. I'm seriously at a dead end with this.

I have the same issue, you're not alone. Then problem is low on my list at the moment. If I pull slightly harder(hold it) and twist at the same time it will usually work. Let us all know not you figure it out.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I have the same issue, you're not alone. Then problem is low on my list at the moment. If I pull slightly harder(hold it) and twist at the same time it will usually work. Let us all know not you figure it out.

Ok so...... I had my bumper and fender flares off because I was doing fabrication. By not having the turn signals and side signals wired it wouldn't complete the circuit. That was my issue. After I wired in my signals I turned on headlights to find instruments illuminated nicely.

Ha, that could be my issue. I have fender and hood issues from an accident. I get the body work done next week. I will update this after the work is done. Maybe mine will be fixed after the work is done and the wiring is reconnected properly.