1997 Saraha Exhaust Flange

RobertJ

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hey guys, I bought a new exhaust for my Sahara from the manifild to the exit. I don't recall the brand, but it came with a donut gasket for the 2.25" OD echaust outlet which fits fine. The connecting pipe is flared, but the donut will barely fit into it which is crazy considering it came with the kit. It has been a chore to get it snugged up without damaging the gasket. Any suggestions? I have read some early TJs didn't even use a donut gasket.
15705519692106492595981035355273.jpg

The 97 4.0l definitely came with a exhaust donut.

There are two possible problems.

1. The new pipe was not flared properly.

2. The gasket is the wrong size.

When I did my exhaust i put the gasket on the manifold then attached the pipe.

My suggestion.... the cheapest way is to go down to the local part store with the gasket and see it is the same size as the one they have.

If it is..... you can take the pipe down to a exhaust place and have them fix the flare.

Thank you for the reply. I am thinking about cutting the flare off the old pipe and using it to replace the flare on the new pipe, because that has to be the issue. I hate to use old pipe on my new exhasut though. Going to run over to Napa though to see what they have.

Any other thoughts appreciated before I cut on my new exhaust though.

Update for anyone that looks at this in the future. I got a donut gasket from Autozone that fits the flange of my downpipe just fine. Crazy that the gasket that came with the exhaust didn't work. Thanks guys.