1997 TJ owners recall alert

KCsTJ

TJ student
Supporting Member
Today I walk into a Jeep dealership in Richardson, Texas and ask for a build sheet for my 97 TJ. The nice man types on his PC and hands me some paperwork and says, 'look, you have an incomplete recall'.

Since I was working I did not have time to explore the recall. Later investigation revealed that an incomplete recall is one that has not been honored by the dealership.

The incomplete recall notice says "reprogramming of the PCM and cat converter inspection". So I plan on getting this recall serviced or 'completed' as soon I make an appointment with the Jeep dealer.

You 97 owners may already know this. I ran across it by accident. Just givin a heads up if you have a 97 TJ.
:)

This recall is from 2006. Since it was emissions related, completing the repair was mandatory in California before you could renew your registration. I had it done when it first was announced - there should be a sticker under the hood indicating it's been done.

The details of the recall are here: https://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/pdf/E22.pdf

By the way, I'm sure it's posted all over the place, but you can search for any of the Jeep recall campaigns by VIN here:

https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehicle/recalls/search.html

20180613_133957_HDR.jpg

Reactions: KCsTJ and Chris
I wonder how old a vehicle has to get before they won't even recall it anymore (or if that's something they even do).

A 97 TJ is now 21 years old!

Reactions: KCsTJ
I wonder how old a vehicle has to get before they won't even recall it anymore (or if that's something they even do).

A 97 TJ is now 21 years old!

I was thinking about that myself. The PCM issue may still be relevant, but I'm sure any 97 TJ out there is no longer running the factory catalytic converter, so I doubt that the inspection of the cat would be useful since an aftermarket cat probably isn't covered anyways.

The recall search by VIN does show if the recall has been completed or not, so I assume if it's still open it would have to be honored by the dealer.

I was thinking about that myself. The PCM issue may still be relevant, but I'm sure any 97 TJ out there is no longer running the factory catalytic converter, so I doubt that the inspection of the cat would be useful since an aftermarket cat probably isn't covered anyways.

The recall search by VIN does show if the recall has been completed or not, so I assume if it's still open it would have to be honored by the dealer.

I would think they would have to honor it, but I also think that once a vehicle gets to a certain age, they must have some sort of cutoff where they no longer service that particular vehicle or something. Who knows... It's interesting to think about though.

This recall is from 2006. Since it was emissions related, completing the repair was mandatory in California before you could renew your registration. I had it done when it first was announced - there should be a sticker under the hood indicating it's been done.

The details of the recall are here: https://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/pdf/E22.pdf

By the way, I'm sure it's posted all over the place, but you can search for any of the Jeep recall campaigns by VIN here:

https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehicle/recalls/search.html

So if I have a 1997 4.0 it's not in the recall according to the first link in your post.

At this point is it even worth the hassle? Like Skully said--a lot of the TJs may not be on their orginal cat anymore. And if yours is deteriorating or has already, you would know about it with the decreased power and/or annoying marbles-in-a-tin-can rattle.

The dealership took my 97 TJ for this E22 recall just yesterday, no questions asked.

I'll try to find out at what point they no longer honor recalls and post back the dealer's response . That will be good info to know.

Thanks for posting that recall note @Skully , I was needing that info before I picked up my jeep so I'll know what questions to ask. :)

That jeep dealership better not mess up my PCM... :-/

@Skully do you drive your jeep on the beach alot?
Does it have the stock 3.73s
How does your 2.5 run generally speaking ?

Unfortunately driving on the beach here isn't legal. Most of my off roading has been in the desert - a mixture of terrain from loose sand to big rocks. Honestly, any terrain I've had the balls to try, the Jeep has tackled with ease.

It is running the stock 3.73s - mine was bone stock when I bought it new. It didn't even have a radio. The only option I got was the automatic transmission. Because it was always my daily driver I've only done minor upgrades to it - but the gearing is still stock.

I'm on my second engine (mainly due to an excessive overheating issue, a rash of bad mechanics, and owner neglect during some lean financial years). Prior to the overheating issues around year 15, it had been smooth and relatively trouble free engine wise.

I'm still a NooB jeeper, 7 months with 1st jeep, but I have wheeled my 97 2.5 twice in the Texas hill country and was surprised at how well it performed.
I'm sure it could have made a couple trails I chickened out on d/t my inexperience. :-/
But the 2.5 with 3.73s kept up with the 4.0 beasts for the most part when I didn't chicken out... :)

Reactions: Skully
yeah, it is amazing how good the records are.

When I did mine it came back no outstanding recalls and it stated in 2007 my '05 TJR had been in to update the dreaded OPDA. No idea what they did but 200K miles with no OPDA issues. I'd recommend anyone considering replacing the OPDA check to see if it has already been addressed under warranty.

Grrr... dealership still has my TJ under recall. :-/
Got a project to finish, auto tranny temperature gauge install, and no jeep. :-/ (mean emoticon face here)

Last edited:
Just reporting back re: the question of how long a factory recall stays in effect.
Picked up my TJ from a Jeep dealership in Greenville, tx after a 2006 factory recall which involved reprogramming the PCM to more easily detect when the catalytic converter begins to go bad, an E22 recall.
I asked the nice man who admitted my jeep for its surgery and he said, "there is no expiration of any factory recall."
So the answer is, it stays in effect as long as the Jeep drives. :)

Mine was until yesterday... No CEL/SEL just rattled... A lot.