1998 4.0 Persistent Misfire

jtf440

TJ Enthusiast
I'm about at my wits end here. 1998 4.0 manual trans, ~180k miles. The other day I cold started it to go to work and it was misfiring on multiple cylinders, and stumbling pretty bad. It's misfired on #2 before, but it clears up within 10 seconds of running. I let it run for a few minutes just to see what happens and it never cleared up and threw P0300, P0302 and P0303. Multiple random misfire and #2 and #3 misfire. I replaced the plugs with the forum recommendation, and the cap/rotor/plug wires are fairly new in good shape. I also checked the resistance of the coil and of all the injectors and they check out. I've also done a compression test about 5k miles ago and all cylinders were within 15psi of 150psi. Thanks for the help and sorry for the long read.

I would swap a coil next and I would pull the plugs wires and ohm them. Also cap and rotor quality will cause a missfire. Just because something is new, does not mean it is not a crap item. Tim
I would hit up the salvage yard for an OEM coil, heat will really affect how they operate.

Reactions: jtf440
I think I'm going to start with a Mopar coil as the current one is an unknown brand. I have a feeling the PO's had no regard for OEM parts as I just replaced an ACDelco fan clutch.