1998 blower motor

mbryan

Any one know if I can wire the blower motor directly to a on off switch temporarily for a few weeks while I take the time to diagnose the real issue?

Any one know if I can wire the blower motor directly to a on off switch temporarily for a few weeks while I take the time to diagnose the real issue?

You should be able to if it’s rated properly and if you don’t mind would you tell us what the real issue is?

I can pull some strings and probably get you a 30 day clearance to run a temp switch, if my supervisor @Jamison C is ok with it.

You should be able to if it’s rated properly and if you don’t mind would you tell us what the real issue is?

I can pull some strings and probably get you a 30 day clearance to run a temp switch, if my supervisor @Jamison C is ok with it.

The blower doesn't work it's my father inlaws jeep and he bought a absolute rats nest it has random wiring running all over the place. He has been driving it a lot and it's getting pretty cold so I need to do something fast and easy to get by till I have time to actually figure out if it's the switch or a relay or the old owner cutting up all the wiring in the dam jeep

Should be easy with the battery right there and an easy hole through the dash where the heater hoses/AC routed through. I'd use a fuse and 12g wire for your temporary/permeant fix.

-Mac

Reactions: AndyG
Should be easy with the battery right there and an easy hole through the dash where the heater hoses/AC routed through. I'd use a fuse and 12g wire for your temporary/permeant fix.

-Mac

Perfect any idea on a good spot to jump into the harness and what colors the wires are and what ones power and what ground? Trying to get all my info so when I run over there in the am I have the best chance of getting it rigged up

Perfect any idea on a good spot to jump into the harness and what colors the wires are and what ones power and what ground? Trying to get all my info so when I run over there in the am I have the best chance of getting it rigged up

It's two wires...it's a motor so if you get it backwards it just runs the wrong way. Run one side through a fuse to the battery. Run the ground into the cab to a switch and ground it to something metal in the dash...easy ground is under the passenger speaker cover.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CK784LZ/?tag=wranglerorg-20

The blower doesn't work it's my father inlaws jeep and he bought a absolute rats nest it has random wiring running all over the place. He has been driving it a lot and it's getting pretty cold so I need to do something fast and easy to get by till I have time to actually figure out if it's the switch or a relay or the old owner cutting up all the wiring in the dam jeep

Well you are shooting straight and on the right forum. These guys will help you.

The most likely "real problem" is the fan motor itself. The fan motor's windings are made with bare copper wiring coated with shellac for insulation. The shellac eventually breaks down allowing the windings to start shorting together which causes the fan motor to start drawing excessive current. That starts taking out things like the insulation on the wiring, resistor pack, and fan speed switch.

There might be several melted/burned components in that circuit including the insulation on the wiring, the resistor pack, and the fan switch, but the root cause of all those potential issues is very likely the fan motor itself. Replace it, then see what else needs to be repaired or replaced. Carefully examine the the wiring in that circuit as the fan motor's excessive current draw can melt the insulation away from it.

Finally found time to help him out pulled the blower it runs perfectly so we just hot wired it on a toggle and a in line fuse for now. The people cut the wire just out side the fire wall to the motor I tried hooking it back up like it should have and it didn't work