1998 Jeep Wrangler Build

JCaspary

Supporting Member
Back in 2021, I picked up a non-running 98 TJ with the mighty 4 squirrel 2.5L. This was my first Jeep to own; I figured this would be a perfect vehicle for the deer lease and would allow me to drive to and on the lease with the same vehicle instead of trailering a Polaris Ranger there. A simple cap, rotor, and plug wire replacement got it back on the road running and driving. First drive was fun, but trying to get to 60 mph on the highway with a loaded down log truck getting closer and closer in my mirrors as that 2.5L did all it could was enough to get me to decide to do a full out build. Here is a picture of the jeep as I purchased it:

IMG_2150.JPEG

By the way, I swear this thing was Blue when I bought it, once the sun was out, it is sure enough purple! Either way pretty clean jeep to use as a project.

I was having some trouble with the electrical system, so decided to start the project with body work, stripping all of the extra lighting, winch, and extra stuff on the jeep to get it back down to a mostly stock system and see what I was working with.

Disassembly and starting to prep for any body repairs:
IMG_3151.JPEG

IMG_3152.JPEG

Skip forward past paint prep and body work. (I am terrible about taking pictures while I work....)

Primer:
IMG_3187.JPEG

First round of color and door/hood/panel fitment:
IMG_3194.JPEG

Final Color and fitting headlights and cowl.
IMG_3424.JPEG

Final product before new windshield and soft top install:
IMG_3477.JPEG

More to come, I am much further along than this, but will start with this part of the project. Looking forward to actually recording this project so later I can look back.

PS this project is still not done, but is much different than this last photo. With the way my work is, I go pretty good spans at times without working on this thing, which is frustrating but it happens.

Chrysler 975613, it’s called Gator. I think it was offered on a year or two of the JKs. Paint is a single stage from PPG.

Thank you. My dads 98 needs a respray and i refuse to lay down a pearl or metallic on principle(it's a jeep!). The emerald green pearl is getting ditched for a solid color in a single stage urethane. I want a green of some kind and this looks perfect

Reactions: Danarch
I had also been slowly working on some interior fixes. One of which was painting the plastic with vinyl paint. Which I am very happy with the results from that:
IMG_3605.jpeg

66131804655__FE8ECBB6-D7FC-4A66-95BB-2810526DD958.jpeg

I ended up doing all of the interior plastic in matte black and really like how it turned out.

So at this point, I had the jeep painted, new windshield, and back on the road. And I immediately managed to crack the exhaust manifold back in the woods behind my house. That brings me to the next phase of my project, which is an ongoing bit of drama to be honest.

So I had decided to do an LS swap on this Jeep, and out of my desire for convenience, I sourced a fully assembled LS with an AX-15 with 90% completed wiring. The existing powertrain was the AX-5 so I wanted to keep a manual in it. Long story short I used Novak for a full powertrain. So with the cracked manifold, I started the LS swap since I saw no point in putting more money into the 4cyl.

Here is a pic of the unit from Novak:
IMG_3590.jpeg

And here is the poor little 4cyl:
67181341197__84348147-05FA-4D4D-88F9-0BF6C0725A52.jpeg

I’ll keep adding pics and whatnot as have time to post. More to come!