1998 Sahara DPG Super Ultimate Build

Lo-Kei

Supporting Member
Hi all,

Don't usually post on forums, but I started this project to help maintain my TJ. Aside from small electronics and cosmetic matters, I recruited my nephew to help me upgrade the suspension and body lift using Dirk's super ultimate kit package. Was badly needed as the suspension was sagging much lower than what I remember when purchasing it in 2000. It took some time to complete (~20hrs) and very pleased with the outcome. The TJ stands proud and tall. Next decision are tires: 33 or 35's. I'm leaning on 35's as I want my seat to rise higher than my wife's 2014 JGC Overland EcoDiesel.

20201017_095930.jpg

20201018_151226.jpg

20201018_172447.jpg

Last edited:
Auto or manual transmission? What gear ratio are you thinking about going with?

The lift makes it look real nice.

Auto or manual transmission? What gear ratio are you thinking about going with?

The lift makes it look real nice.
Hi Wildman,

Can't be more pleased with how the lift looks. Only drove it a few miles since the build-out but it sure felt good and tight. Have the auto. If I do the 33" would gear to 4.5. If 35" thinking 4.88.

Reactions: Wildman
@Wildman - Thanks for the table. Will review it shortly.
@TWiG01 - Wow, very nice pic. The 33"s look comfortable in that placement. I'm in north FL, so mostly sand and mud. Was thinking AT over MT for comfort and daily drives. The locals like the Super Swampers, but I'm not into muddin as much these days, so I'm leaning on BFG KO2 and Cooper SST as prefer sand and maybe rocks one day. There are a lot of options and I want to keep it simple. :0

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildman
An AT tire will definitely ride a lot smoother in the long run. Personally i would stick to a 33”. 35” tires require a lot of supporting modifications to properly run. Especially if you plan to do any sort of off-roading.

Reactions: lowranger
An AT tire will definitely ride a lot smoother in the long run. Personally i would stick to a 33”. 35” tires require a lot of supporting modifications to properly run. Especially if you plan to do any sort of off-roading.
@TWiG01 - That's good to know. I'm fighting a bad case of scope creep and my practical senses tell me to get the most out of this drivetrain with the least amount of mods using this lift. :)

Reactions: Wildman and TWiG01
Based on feedback and searches, I'm targeting 33"x12.5x15 BFG KO2 and Pro Comp Alloy 69 (15 x 8 inches /5 x 114 mm, -19 mm Offset). I'm hopeful the wheel provides sufficient offset to prevent rubbing.

Added Rough Country spare tire spacer. Also noticed the lug nuts have splines. Not sure they are compatible with traditional lug wrenches.

Using a level and measuring tape, I compare actual tire heights: KO2 at 31 5/8" against previous tire Michelin LTX MS/2 at 29 3/8". This is a 2 1/4" difference. In terms of driving, acceleration and speed is very similar. Definitely tell a difference in braking as it requires more effort to stop. Have stock rotors in front and drums in back. Any suggestions and recommendations are welcome.

My next tasks are to drive the Jeep to help settle the new components, verify axle spacing, control arms and track bars, align tires using precision equipment and repair an under hood exhaust leak that started after the lift. Haven't looked closely yet, but engine exhaust sounds louder than normal underneath manifold area. Didn't expect any pipework to move or separate during body and engine lifts.

Last edited:
A Vanco big brake kit will make a world of difference for stopping power. The Jeep looks great!
The BMB brand has a large following and the dual piston calipers look interesting. Wonder if anyone documented measured stopping differences between stock and kit upgrades.

Last edited:
Reactions: TWiG01
The BMB brand has a large following and the dual piston calipers look interesting. Wonder if anyone documented measured stopping differences between stock and kit upgrades.
Blaine probably knows. It would be interesting to see the numbers.

Reactions: Lo-Kei