1998 SE from Tennessee

jrmcafee

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Josh McAfee here from just east of Memphis Tennessee. I purchased a non-running 1998 TJ SE 2.5L 5spd a couple of weeks ago and have been in the process of getting it back up and running.

CFC8E306-469B-434E-B347-A70EEEA4C7E5.jpeg

First thing was water pump, hoses, and radiator and rear struts. The front end needs attention too but I’m limping along until the budget can catch back up. Once I got it drivable, it was time to clear out the muck from the previous owner’s neglect. It has 83,000 original miles (CARFAX confirmed) but hasn’t seen more than 600 of those in the past 10 years. It’s a barn find, suburban carport style. The previous owner bought it as a fun weekend toy for him and his son, but when the son moved out and away, the Jeep became an afterthought. He left the top down and just let it rot.

B98C80EA-BF78-4D7C-A315-032BC15A44C9.jpeg

So after removing a garden sack of dead leaves, peeling off the moldy seat covers old carpet, and willing the soft top back onto the frame, we now have a workable situation again. This evening I had to tear down the half door and replace the inner and outer handles. It’s still not a great situation but at least I can drive it with the door shut again.

E18A52B6-F4A4-4E7F-842C-50B8EDB85277.jpeg

I’ll post this separately as well but my first ask of the group is to help me get my headlights running. I have cabin lights and can fire the high beams using my column switch if I hold it down, but otherwise I’m without light. I’ve replaced the dash plunger switch, the column MFS, checked all fuses and cleaned the terminals on the lamp plugs.

28B6236F-97C8-4CA1-AF1A-094B5C06F6FF.jpeg

Thanks in advance for the warm welcome and the welcomed advice!

Reactions: TJ4Jim and Chris
Welcome to the forum!

Now that's an interesting (and intrusive) way to install a cage that I haven't seen before!

It looks like someone had fun with that thing, that's for sure (y) Props to you for getting it back up-and-running!

Reactions: jrmcafee
Welcome to the forum!

Now that's an interesting (and intrusive) way to install a cage that I haven't seen before!

It looks like someone had fun with that thing, that's for sure (y) Props to you for getting it back up-and-running!
Yeah I’m not a fan. Cards on the table—I bought this to enjoy with my three small children on the weekend. It’s set up for something entirely different. Not certain why they chose a 2.5L to load up with all this stuff but I’ll be removing a lot of it along the way.

Yeah I’m not a fan. Cards on the table—I bought this to enjoy with my three small children on the weekend. It’s set up for something entirely different. Not certain why they chose a 2.5L to load up with all this stuff but I’ll be removing a lot of it along the way.

They also put Rubicon stickers on it :LOL:

I'm with you, not sure why they would have picked a 2.5, but if you got it for the right price, it's hard to complain in all honesty.

They also put Rubicon stickers on it :LOL:

I'm with you, not sure why they would have picked a 2.5, but if you got it for the right price, it's hard to complain in all honesty.
And an X’treme badge that I’m still goo-gone’ing the hell out of to no avail. I would have removed the Rubicon’s by now but after removing the X’treme badges, I’m worried I’ll have the ghost of Rubicon on the hood forever.

And an X’treme badge that I’m still goo-gone’ing the hell out of to no avail. I would have removed the Rubicon’s by now but after removing the X’treme badges, I’m worried I’ll have the ghost of Rubicon on the hood forever.

Oh yeah, you may be right! Well, you can always just wrap the entire thing. That's what I did with my TJ.

Reactions: jrmcafee