1998 TJ Hydraulic Fluid Leak Near Rear Passenger Tire

mooneysch

Supporting Member
Rear, Passenger-Side Tire crapped the bed as I pulled into Airport. Trying to figure out what parts to order while away to expedite repair. Haven’t been able to look through Service Manual yet. Anyone able to tell likely problems from pics? Axle Seal or Brake Line? Or something else? Thanks in advance.
BEF6FC9E-9B13-4C48-AF7F-C5B7D6D3F75C.jpeg

FA52AEC0-5C40-4BB2-B4D9-EBAF0B944DB5.jpeg

5D1C197D-74D0-4727-8FFA-90ECAFA93EF7.jpeg

2574B756-70BF-42CF-8C4E-92A716BE7AD9.jpeg

"Looks" like axle seals got blown out. Or it could be your drum brake wheel cylinder leaking. A few pumps on the brake pedal will tell.

Thanks!

Brake pedal definitely didn’t feel normal: way less resistance when depressed around 50% almost like I was pushing air; however was still working in the sense I was able to stop the Jeep without having to engage the E-Brake or Shift Gears.

The brakes are split front/rear specifically to keep a blown wheel cyl/caliper from causing a complete system failure. When you replace the wheel cylinder be sure to completely flush out all the old brake fluid. All of it. From all four wheels to the master cylinder. It might be a good idea to replace the other side cylinder too. There are 2 school of thoughts on this, but to me they are cheap and I don't want to have the other side blow out next month on me.

Your brake shoes were worn out enough for your wheel cylinders to exceed their travel distance and popped out the seal, no biggie, new brake shoes and new wheel cylinder, bleed the brakes properly and you're rolling along like before.