1998 XJ - $25K

This just underscores what I've been saying for the last couple of years: Prices of pre-iPhone vehicles are skyrocketing and I think they'll continue to do so. Is it worth $25K? Probably not - BUT - I'd rather pay $25K for this one than anything new.

You could always buy an XJ from Davis AutoSports. I've heard prices that I won't repeat because they're probably for different levels of restoration and I don't want to mislead anyone. While I appreciate what they do I wonder how many buyers are out there for this kind of XJ.

Full confession here ... although I enjoy my LJ, I am a dedicated XJ & MJ enthusiast and have been for about 35 years. I bought a fully loaded Laredo new in 1990 (gone now) and it was nothing like what you'll see in this video. Thank goodness. It was a "Jeep" and I planned to use it accordingly. As nice as they are, I don't think I'd enjoy driving an XJ like the one in the original post or the one in this video.

I'll stick with what I have.

23-06-07 1.jpg

I have a buddy who is really into XJ's...and he could buy 6 or 7 of them for the price of that ONE XJ. 25K is insane...were they even that much new?

XJ prices are all over the place depending on condition which is no surprise. I'm talking CDN dollars here so USD would be about 75% of these numbers. You can find $1,500 XJs that are good for trail beating but would be a bad start for a restoration or good driver. You can also find $10,000 XJs that are actually good ... or ones that just look good. I've also seen $15,000 XJs that have tempted me because are that good and are a particularly nice model. MJs are a different matter and many did not survive well, up here any way. I got lucky and found a solid 1988 short box Eliminator which a lot of MJ guys like.

I have the original receipt for my white XJ above. It's a 1989 RENIX model, 2 dr. Limited which is rare and desirable. It's an automatic which was much more popular. It went for $30,251. I know I could figure it out but I'm sure that would be $50,000+ today. I bought a fully optioned XJ 4 dr. Laredo new in 1990 (next one down from a Limited - just as nice and better looking). From memory I got it for just over $32,000.

I got excellent deals on both my XJ & MJ about 6 or 7 years ago. They are very rust free and unmolested other than 2" lifts, slightly larger tires and minor interior mods. I already owned my LJ and I got both of the others for a combined price of just less than what I paid for the LJ. XJ & MJ prices have gone up and I think it's safe to say I could double my money. I could get a bit more for my LJ than I paid for it but not a lot. I try not to look at things that way though. I need transportation and these are it! Well ... plus my WK which I would happily get rid of tomorrow.

Reactions: Irun and Mike_H
I think this one could definitely get in the low 20s at the right auction.

I don’t want to believe it, but BaT past results say otherwise.

Reactions: GrimGentry