1999 2.5L 30RH automatic transmission check valve question

Btaylor9311

Hi All,

New to the forum but have been lurking for over a year now on google. Thank you for all of the input and help I have already enjoyed. I bought my wife a TJ 2+ years ago with a 2.5 new Jasper motor in it. Yes is slow but she loves it and so does my 5 year old. I have been fighting the hesitation issue that many have explained as a failing check valve.

Now I know in a normal set up the line that is plumbed into the driver side of the radiator is the line I plumb the check valve into (with the flow oriented toward the Radiator). It appears someone put an aftermarket trans cooler on this thing before me so I need to know which hard line leading from the transmission out do I plumb it into? There are two hardlines on the drivers side. One is closest to the front of the jeep and the other the rear. All of the diagrams I am seeing appear to show the front line (closest to the radiator) is the line that would normally run to the drivers side of the rad but I want to make sure I do this correctly so I don't stop the oil flow.

Thanks in advance and fingers crossed this is FINALLY the issue.
Brad Taylor

Last edited:
Glad you were able to figure it out, and thanks for the update. I figured someone would have known, but apparently not.

At least we know now!

Update...I replaced the check valve with an A/M unit and I still have the issue. The jeep will rev but not catch first gear when cold. If I put it in neutral and let it sit for a moment it doesn't have the issue. Any help?