1999 hardtop crack repair question

ChrisTJ98

I just picked up a 1999 jeep tj hardtop yesterday. I didn’t see the crack till after it was loaded and I paid the guy. What’s done is done, I plan to paint this too but I want to fix this crack before it become a real problem. I seriously thought if I could be extremely careful with a 4inch grinder and open it up and was hoping to shoot an epoxy resin into it. I found this which claims it’s a bit flexible which is probably good in this case https://www.totalboat.com/products/flexepox-flexible-epoxy-adhesive

Here a picture of the crack and overall condition of tbe top. I plan on changing all the hinges and seals out and want to paint it. My TJ didn’t come with the wiring for wipers and defroster but I plan on buying that as well to hook up.

Give me your opinion on the best way to repair this?

IMG_5627.jpeg

IMG_5631.png

IMG_5633.jpeg

Hard top repair questions do not seem to generate a lot of response.

I myself am waiting for several days of clear and warmer weather to do some hard top repairs.....also for a 1999 TJ.

I think you're on the right track with opening up and cleaning that crack and then using epoxy. The issue for me is/was - which epoxy or repair material to use?

Not to put anyone on the spot but member @jscherb sure does know a lot about repairing these hard tops. He pointed me to this stuff: (https://www.amazon.com/West-System-Flex-Epoxy-2-4oz/dp/B002IZFPQE?tag=wranglerorg-20).

Also, I've had good luck with Flood "Penetrol" for refinishing the exterior of the hard top. There are several threads on this and other proven methods for getting that old oxidized hard top looking great again.

Best of luck.

Reactions: pbeach
Hard top repair questions do not seem to generate a lot of response.

I myself am waiting for several days of clear and warmer weather to do some hard top repairs.....also for a 1999 TJ.

I think you're on the right track with opening up and cleaning that crack and then using epoxy. The issue for me is/was - which epoxy or repair material to use?

Not to put anyone on the spot but member @jscherb sure does know a lot about repairing these hard tops. He pointed me to this stuff: (https://www.amazon.com/West-System-Flex-Epoxy-2-4oz/dp/B002IZFPQE?tag=wranglerorg-20).

Also, I've had good luck with Flood "Penetrol" for refinishing the exterior of the hard top. There are several threads on this and other proven methods for getting that old oxidized hard top looking great again.

Best of luck.

Cajunjeepnate said to use this https://www.eastwood.com/evercoat-smc-resin-quart-100864.html

He’s right this top is SMC you must use a SMC resin or it will not stick. Resin isn’t enough plus I found another spot I need to build back up

IMG_5655.jpeg

Believe it or not I used this paint to paint my faded fenders and it lasted about a year with no prep, just sprayed them. Of course when I bought this it was lot cheaper. I like the finish of this paint
78493BE5-4FAF-4407-8EB7-813476D36CDB.png

Reactions: ChrisTJ98
To fix cracks in composite materials you need to grind both sides of panel until it is a knife edge. Then do layups with fiberglass. When i say both sides i mean inside and outside of the top in this case. Otherwise flexing will make it crack again. On cured composites you don't get a chemical bond.you rely on rough sanding scratches for the new material to adhere. Something like 40 grit roloc discs work great.

I have no experience with hard tops but i have built and repaired composite aircraft and even spacex rocket parts.

I have a couple cracks in my hardtop and will probably try to find a similar epoxy or one with low shrinkage. Polyester will more than likely be fine but shrinks a little more when cured. Not an issue with small repairs.

None of this applies to soft plastics like interior panels or bumpers. Those you use a plastic welder or other hot tools to melt the pieces together

Reactions: BlueC
To fix cracks in composite materials you need to grind both sides of panel until it is a knife edge. Then do layups with fiberglass. When i say both sides i mean inside and outside of the top in this case. Otherwise flexing will make it crack again. On cured composites you don't get a chemical bond.you rely on rough sanding scratches for the new material to adhere. Something like 40 grit roloc discs work great.

I have no experience with hard tops but i have built and repaired composite aircraft and even spacex rocket parts.

I have a couple cracks in my hardtop and will probably try to find a similar epoxy or one with low shrinkage. Polyester will more than likely be fine but shrinks a little more when cured. Not an issue with small repairs.

None of this applies to soft plastics like interior panels or bumpers. Those you use a plastic welder or other hot tools to melt the pieces together

I’ve been told do inside but I’m not doing it as I would have to grind the lip that it bolts to the body. I’d be asking for more problems.