1999 Intense Blue Build

1stStateMatt

So back in January 2021 I picked up 1999 TJ SE with 2.5L/5 speed combo.
Here is what looked like when I picked it up and brought it home.

792B81C3-0C72-4FE7-8799-784347E52C24.jpeg

It was previously owned by an older couple that kept it at there beach house. It had 107K miles and had a few spots of rust, but nothing significant. I did check the frame, even the inside for the most part prior to purchasing. For $5K I thought is was within my tolerance of what I was willing to tackle. So I parked it in the garage and worked on it over the next 3 months when I had the time.

I started off addressing the rust I could get to without having to remove the body from the frame. Luckily I was able to drop the transmission skid plate/cross member successfully without any stuck bolts or massive rust along the frame wells. I did use a lot of PB Blaster and patience with getting many bolts off and back on. I sanded down the outside of the frame, used Rust Kutter to neutralize, painted the frame, and then covered with Fluid Film.

Additionally I changed transfer case fluid, transmission fluid, Speedo gear (lift was coming), diff fluid, and motor oil. Next it was onto the front end and I spent a lot of time there.

The front end was a rusted mess and everything had been neglected. I did the ZJ track bar replacement as well as the metal cloak track bar. While I was in there I changed wheel bearings, ball joints, steering axle u joints, knuckles, and replace the front disc brakes with all Black Magic components. Lastly I added the Ranch steering dampener along with the 2” OME springs, Rancho 5000 shocks, 3/4” coil spacer for leveling, new bump stop cups, jounces, and added additional bump stop.

Moved to the back cleaned everything up and added OME track bar relocation bracket, 2” OME springs with Rancho 5000 shocks. I went with ProComp wheels and Duratrac 265/75r16 to round everything off on the outside.

On the inside the blower wasn’t working so I ended up pulling everything apart and the back of the switch was fried. Replaced that along with the resistor and blower motor. While I was in there I swapped all interior lights to include dome, footwells, and dash lights with Superbright LEDs. I followed the How to thread with this. While I was at it I changed of the headlights for the Hella Halogen ones and Sylvania Silver Star bulbs. I’m happy with them right now but may eventually move to LED. I just like the nostalgic look of regular lights on it. I’ve done some minor changes to include new stickers, roll bar padding, and seat covers.

I am pretty happy with the end result and not sure what will come next, we will see!
E2E8EE6B-40A9-4CC7-B324-6E22D58F86E7.jpeg
12C577CA-DFE0-48B1-90D5-5553CA0A101A.jpeg
F98E592B-520E-49A8-94BA-2BE8932008D4.jpeg

Last edited:
What are your future plans for it? I have a 1997 SE but I glued 4 more cylinders to mine.
I live in a beach town so mostly bumming around in the summer and driving on the beach to surf fish. I have a 15 y/o that helped with the build so using it to teach him to drive a manual. Maybe sell it to him for his 1st car if he gets comfortable driving it.

Reactions: Wildman
Color is incredible. My brother owned a townhouse close to the beach in Dewey, a bunch of us took shares for several summers, it was awesome (this was early 90's). I put 14,000 miles on my car in one summer driving back and forth from NY to DE. I believe he sold it for $150K in bad real estate years....I bet it is now worth close to a million.

I live in a beach town so mostly bumming around in the summer and driving on the beach to surf fish. I have a 15 y/o that helped with the build so using it to teach him to drive a manual. Maybe sell it to him for his 1st car if he gets comfortable driving it.
Sounds like a heck of a plan. My daughter's first rig was a manual also as I deem it a good skill to have. She isn't into working on rigs anymore.