1999 Jeep Wrangler Sahara long power but not dying

c_bronson

I have a 1999 TJ w/the 4.0 Manual transmission about 175,000 miles. Went on the trails this past weekend and did some minor wheeling nothing crazy except got stuck in some unexpected mud and had to be pulled out.

The Jeep ran perfect all day and with no problems. Drove it too and from the trails on the highway at 75 with no issues.

I went to drive it to work this morning and while I was gaining speed around 60 mph, it lost all power and the gauges dropped to zero for about 2 seconds then it came back up and kept on going till about 5 miles down the road the same thing happened.

At this point I pulled to the side of the road but it never died.

The loss of power the second time was about 20 seconds but then I was able to drive it back home with no problems. Not sure where to start with this issue as the vehicle never turned off and the engine kept running. I just simply lost all power, kind of similar to how you press the clutch. Any suggestions?

I am leaning toward the mud... did you spray down the jeep? If you did. Did you get any water on the connections?

If you did spray it down it might just be a water traped and needs to dry out.

Reactions: hamrickac
@Chris It hasn't thrown any codes yet....however when it happened it very briefly flashed the CEL then it went away.

@Boinked I did spray the Jeep down yesterday and gave it a thorough washing so I suspect water on connections could be an issue since it didn't do this before washing it.

Fiddle around with your key while driving. Just slightly wiggle it around. If I screw around with my key just right, I can get the Jeep to lose all power while still running. I'm going to do some research and replace the needed parts soon, but it's been doing that for over a year and working just fine.

If nothing happens, dig a little deeper with the suggestions above. This is such a simple test to do that I think it might be smart to start with it.

Reactions: c_bronson