1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ (Buying Advice)

Relax

Hello, I’m looking for some help, I am looking into buying a 1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ, I have already test drove, it drives great, it is manual, a lot of fun, very smooth ride and very well kept vehicle, I really like it, but I have done a lot of research and from what I have gathered, you need to watch for rust in the frames, it makes sense of course, so when I was looking at the Jeep I gave it a good look around underneath, and I was quite worried, there were a lot of chips of metal inside the frame, where the holes of rot are. I have not purchased it, and I wanted to post some pictures here and get some feedback. Should I pass and keeping looking or is this safe to get and put some money into fixing it? And is fixing even and option?

Thank you

C0611F42-4E18-4E42-AF88-59835EC26770.jpeg

CBA34EDA-5F06-46DE-B8A4-CAACC42E97EA.jpeg
60D7C095-7DAD-414F-8137-6101AEA7D04C.jpeg

9A3B4A8E-842D-41E7-87B0-CD1EEE5E7C34.jpeg
3EC28205-D3EC-425A-88C5-98E29D80CDBA.jpeg
F1AE9CAD-7F83-4FE9-93BD-D708DEF7B741.jpeg
AEBFBCC7-8C11-4691-83A4-70FB0B4BFAC6.jpeg

AB043E66-95DE-456F-8E7A-FF4750841547.jpeg

Reactions: Chris
WHOA!!!

STAY AWAY FROM THAT THING!

I'm not kidding either. That thing has serious frame rot, and if those areas look like that, I guarantee the rest of the frame looks like that inside.

That thing is not safe to be driven on at this point and would either require a frame swap or extensive frame repair, which is by no means a small project.

Again, STAY AWAY!!! I forbid you from buying something in that poor of condition.

Reactions: bromel and Relax
Hello, I’m looking for some help, I am looking into buying a 1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ, I have already test drove, it drives great, it is manual, a lot of fun, very smooth ride and very well kept vehicle, I really like it, but I have done a lot of research and from what I have gathered, you need to watch for rust in the frames, it makes sense of course, so when I was looking at the Jeep I gave it a good look around underneath, and I was quite worried, there were a lot of chips of metal inside the frame, where the holes of rot are. I have not purchased it, and I wanted to post some pictures here and get some feedback. Should I pass and keeping looking or is this safe to get and put some money into fixing it? And is fixing even and option?

Thank you

View attachment 73801
View attachment 73803View attachment 73802
View attachment 73806View attachment 73807View attachment 73808View attachment 73809

View attachment 73804
My two cents would be to keep on looking. Way too much for on that frame.

Reactions: Relax
WHOA!!!

STAY AWAY FROM THAT THING!

I'm not kidding either. That thing has serious frame rot, and if those areas look like that, I guarantee the rest of the frame looks like that inside.

That thing is not safe to be driven on at this point and would either require a frame swap or extensive frame repair, which is by no means a small project.

Again, STAY AWAY!!! I forbid you from buying something in that poor of condition.
Thank you, I had a feeling that’s what the answer was gonna be but I just wanted to get a clear answer, thanks for the quick response!

:) I will keep looking !

Reactions: Chris
Thank you, I had a feeling that’s what the answer was gonna be but I just wanted to get a clear answer, thanks for the quick response!

:) I will keep looking !

No problem! I'd hate to see anyone end up with a frame that bad thinking it would be easy to fix.

That right there is a big project!

I wouldn’t drive that around the block nevertheless buy it. I sure hope the seller understands the issues that this Jeep has. It is really only good for parts at this point.

Reactions: Relax and Chris
While that frame is toast I think we should mention that there are frames out there that look much better than that and should still be avoided. At the very least stick you finger in the holes the factory put in various places of the frame and feel around in there. You'll feel the rusty chips in there long before the extra holes are visible.

Reactions: AndyG and Relax
Here is how much rust you want -NONE .

and that is not a far out suggestion...there are tons of them out there , all of them are fun , but don't start with an uphill battle.

Reactions: Relax