1999 TJ has a fluttering / clacking sound in drive and sometimes in park

I don't recall the dipstick tube having anything more than a friction fit. I sure don't believe there's an e-torx involved.
Shift linkage is off! Now the dipstick tube must be removed - from what i understand and observe, it's an e-torx bolt that must be approached from the engine compartment. Need to get the proper tool for this.
If you're talking about what holds the upper part of the tube to the tub it should be nothing more than a standard 3/8-16 hex nut. The only e-torx on the transmission is one E-12 that is one of the bolts that hold the transmission to the engine.

Reactions: H_E_H
I don't recall the dipstick tube having anything more than a friction fit. I sure don't believe there's an e-torx involved.

If you're talking about what holds the upper part of the tube to the tub it should be nothing more than a standard 3/8-16 hex nut. The only e-torx on the transmission is one E-12 that is one of the bolts that hold the transmission to the engine.
Jerry, thank you for confirming! The dipstick tube does appear nothing more than friction fit - that's exactly what I saw while filming down there with my phone to get a better understanding. I did find the E-12 e-torx while filming with my phone, too! By thew, I just paid for a membership here. Really appreciate everybody's help and patience with me! LOL

praying-caprisun.gif

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Shift linkage is off! Now the dipstick tube must be removed - from what i understand and observe, it's an e-torx bolt that must be approached from the engine compartment. Need to get the proper tool for this.

Maybe maybe not. I had no e-torx on my transmission. Also take note of the exact positioning & depth of your dipstick. Mine has never gone back to how it was before I messed with it, and now it won't bolt up to the bell housing AND it leaks like a sieve unless I use a gallon of The Right Stuff. I would say put a band of tape around the tube exactly where it meets the trans case so you'll have a reference point.

Reactions: H_E_H
Okay, the new bunt cake torque converter is installed! I've a few questions:
I've seen a video stating I'll need to grease the hub (see pic.) Do you all recommend I apply grease?
Also, the symbol aligns to what on the flexplate? Thanks in advance, Guys.

y57zTlo.jpg