1999 tub on a 2003+ frame?

Offline246

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Can anyone tell me what the fitment challenges are when putting a 1999 tub on a 2003+ frame? Hoping to use as much of my `04 interior parts as possible. What fits/what doesn't? What hacks solve problems?

Thanks!

Reactions: inkedrose
The steering box mounting is different, for one. Not sure how much else is different.

There is at least one shop that makes brand new frames for the TJ, and you can generally custom order it

Skid plate bolt holes are different...think it's 97 to 03 and 04-06.

When I swapped my 97 to a 2000 frame...other than the 4 cylinder to 6 cylinder engine mounts I had to move...the mount for the mid shaft steering needed moved and the frame ground tapped hole from the alternator was missing.

-Mac

Reactions: Steel City 06
Skid plate bolt holes are different...think it's 97 to 03 and 04-06.

When I swapped my 97 to a 2000 frame...other than the 4 cylinder to 6 cylinder engine mounts I had to move...the mount for the mid shaft steering needed moved and the frame ground tapped hole from the alternator was missing.

-Mac

The frame split happens between 02 and 03.

To Op, if I understand correctly, you have an 04 and you want to use a 99 tub? That will be a challenge. The heater box is different…which is the big thing. The firewall will have a big hole in the earlier tub. The windshield has different Trim. Not a huge deal, but you have to drill a bunch of holes.

I’ve replaced a tub. My advice is to get the correct style (02 and under or 03 and later). It’s a big enough project with everything fitting the way it’s supposed to. Don’t make it tougher on yourself by trying to adapt something that doesn’t really fit.