1st gear shudder and synchro

Germanshepherd

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hi. My 04 tj with 165k miles is getting worse with first gear chatter of shudder, bucks bad but does not always do it. Comes and goes. I'll take it in to the shop to see what's going on. If they need to replace clutch,flywheel etc, can they easily replace my third gear synchro that is bad? Not sure if replacing clutch parts gives them easy access to the sychro? Thx

Good news and bad news for you.

What you may be describing as bucking is probably a warped flywheel. Or maybe you are new to a clutch and learning how to get to the sweet spot. If they are in to replace the clutch, that has nothing to do with synchros. The clutch is in between your trans and your engine where as your synchros are in the transmission. If you do take it in to get a clutch(and flywheel), and you have the trans rebuilt, it will only cost you for the removal of the transmission once. If you do the clutch now, and the transmission later you will pay for remove and replace twice.

Here is where you need to get strategic. A lot of places know how to replace the clutch, but may not know how to rebuild the transmission, So you need to pick a shop or transmission shop that does. Also the manual transmission is a relatively easy job, so if they do know how to rebuild transmissions. there aren't going to be any surprises in there.

Reactions: Germanshepherd
Good news and bad news for you.

What you may be describing as bucking is probably a warped flywheel. Or maybe you are new to a clutch and learning how to get to the sweet spot. If they are in to replace the clutch, that has nothing to do with synchros. The clutch is in between your trans and your engine where as your synchros are in the transmission. If you do take it in to get a clutch(and flywheel), and you have the trans rebuilt, it will only cost you for the removal of the transmission once. If you do the clutch now, and the transmission later you will pay for remove and replace twice.

Here is where you need to get strategic. A lot of places know how to replace the clutch, but may not know how to rebuild the transmission, So you need to pick a shop or transmission shop that does. Also the manual transmission is a relatively easy job, so if they do know how to rebuild transmissions. there aren't going to be any surprises in there.

thanks.. that's what I thought about the synchros being in the tranny. The transmission works fine other than the 3rd gear. Its been like that since I got it 2 years ago so used to skipping 3rd or I can double clutch and it goes into third fine.

Not new to driving a manual. My first vehicle was a stick back in 1983 and been driving sticks my whole life.
This is definitely clutch/flywheel/cylinder related, no engine codes etc. its worse when warmed up. Sometimes I can go a week without it doing it. when it does do it I can feather the clutch/gas just enough so its not too bad but other times its so bad that does not even help.
it did not to it at all today, so far.
the seller said they did have clutch replaced at one point, it had 163k miles when I bought it. who knows but if they did do the clutch, who knows if they replaced flywheel/resurfaced when not supposed too.

thanks for the info.
PS. I see I have a typo on my main subject line, any idea how to fix that? been awhile since I had to do that. thx

Good luck, and keep us posted. A lot of people can be helped if we follow through with issues and post what fixed them. I always try and do that myself.

@Chris can fix your subject line
at the shop now. will let you know what the problem is etc. its nice to see follow ups on fixes as agree, very helpful. I read enough on all of the possible solutions before posting so curious to see if its one of the common reasons I read about. They may keep it for awhile as they are busy and I said keep it as long as you need. thanks

Reactions: ac_