2-2.5" lift questions (question about OME lift kits)

FWIW...

When I acquired my LJ Rubicon, in 2016, one of the two previous owners had installed OME springs, 934's up front and 949's for the rear. And frankly, it road like shit!

Those springs are so stiff/heavy there was little to no give and flex to the suspension. On road, off road, it didn't matter. It was the roughest riding vehicle I had ever been in. My wife refused to ride in it. The only way to soften the ride, with those springs, was to keep the hardtop on (which weighs 200 pounds) and to have two or three passengers with me, and/or a bunch of weight in the back.

I spoke to Dirk at DPG about it, and he agreed that, because my Jeep doesn't have extra armor/skidplates, and I'm not always using my hardtop, and I rarely have more than one passenger, my Jeep was way over-sprung.

Those springs did give me 3" of lift, which I liked, but the ride issues were more than I could bear. However, eventually, I wanted 4" of lift so I went a different route. I now have a full Metalcloak short arm suspension and I love it. The ride quality is outstanding!

If I had not wanted the extra suspension lift of 4" I would have purchased the OME springs that Dirk had recommended. Which, if I remember, were 932's and 942's???

Just one mans experience and opinion

For reference here are the spring rates and unloaded heights.

Attachments

• Spring rates.pdf
    205.9 KB · Views: 368
Did you go with the Metalcloak 3.5" Long Travel, Short Arm Suspension?

FWIW...

When I acquired my LJ Rubicon, in 2016, one of the two previous owners had installed OME springs, 934's up front and 949's for the rear. And frankly, it road like shit!

Those springs are so stiff/heavy there was little to no give and flex to the suspension. On road, off road, it didn't matter. It was the roughest riding vehicle I had ever been in. My wife refused to ride in it. The only way to soften the ride, with those springs, was to keep the hardtop on (which weighs 200 pounds) and to have two or three passengers with me, and/or a bunch of weight in the back.

I spoke to Dirk at DPG about it, and he agreed that, because my Jeep doesn't have extra armor/skidplates, and I'm not always using my hardtop, and I rarely have more than one passenger, my Jeep was way over-sprung.

Those springs did give me 3" of lift, which I liked, but the ride issues were more than I could bear. However, eventually, I wanted 4" of lift so I went a different route. I now have a full Metalcloak short arm suspension and I love it. The ride quality is outstanding!

If I had not wanted the extra suspension lift of 4" I would have purchased the OME springs that Dirk had recommended. Which, if I remember, were 932's and 942's???

Just one mans experience and opinion

Did you go with the Metalcloak 3.5" Long Travel, Short Arm Suspension?
In essence, "Yes."

I didn't buy it as a complete package. I bought the components, piecemeal, starting with the control arms and front track bar. Then later got the sway bar links and RockSport shocks. Then a few months later got the springs.

I ran the RockSport shocks with the OME springs for a few months, hoping the new shocks would help with the stiff ride issue, but the OME springs were just too dang stiff for my Jeep. The new shocks helped somewhat but it was still a jarring ride unless I had a lot of weight in and on the vehicle.

I've been considering that lift, as well as the OME + body lift.
Do you know if the Metalcloak lift netted you 3.5"s of lift, or was it more?
I’m at 4” up front and 4.5” over the rear with the soft top on. The weight of the hardtop lowers the rear height by about 1/4”. So I have an honest 4” + of lift.

I spoke to MC about this and they said the springs will give 4.5” lift on light weight, non altered, Jeep’s. They list them as 3.5” of lift because they know most Jeeps will be customized and weight will be added by the add-ons.

Last edited:
Hello! new question..

Do I have to replace my front track bar with the 2'' ome lift kit?
Maybe, maybe not. The stock trackbar is a set length, attached to the frame on the driver side and the axle on the passenger side. Thus, when you install your 2" OME the additional height causes the drivers side of the trackbar to raise 2", shifting the axle to the driver's side the amount equal to the square of the hypotenuse. At 2" it is usually no more than 1/2-1". This is negligible and will not affect driving performance. However, for OCD types, an adjustable trackbar is usually acquired to re-center the axle.

Reactions: Blondie70
You should be able to see how far the axle shifted by looking at the front antisway bar frame mount bushings. There will be a clean and shiny part of the bar. That is how far you moved the axle. With my OME springs it was around 3/8" IIRC. That is not nearly enough to need an adjustable track bar. In fact finding one that will fit is a bit of a challenge. And, as said, unless you have real bad OCD you are fine.
Unfortunately for me, I do have the OCD. Ended up buying the Rough Country 7572 bar from Amazon. Fits stock. No need to drill out frame side mount. Have it adjusted down to only showing 2-4 threads so it really was pretty much a waste of time and money.

Unfortunately for me, I do have the OCD...

Have it adjusted down to only showing 2-4 threads so it really was pretty much a waste of time and money.

LOL, but you have peace of mind that it's centered.

I'm the same way and put adjustable track bars on the front and rear of mine. LOL

You should be able to see how far the axle shifted by looking at the front antisway bar frame mount bushings. There will be a clean and shiny part of the bar. That is how far you moved the axle. With my OME springs it was around 3/8" IIRC. That is not nearly enough to need an adjustable track bar. In fact finding one that will fit is a bit of a challenge. And, as said, unless you have real bad OCD you are fine.
Unfortunately for me, I do have the OCD. Ended up buying the Rough Country 7572 bar from Amazon. Fits stock. No need to drill out frame side mount. Have it adjusted down to only showing 2-4 threads so it really was pretty much a waste of time and money.

What about in the rear? Did you have to use a relocation bracket?

Reactions: Web98
What about in the rear? Did you have to use a relocation bracket?
Is the rear using an adjustable track bar too? See what is going on back there first. It could be using a drop mount on the frame, an adjustable bar, or both. You should have a bracket on the axle side to allow the bar to not bind. You will probably be wanting to keep the axle side bracket. Post some pics so we can see what you have going on back there.

I'm running 934s front (zj v8) and 949s rear (heavy, LJ). I have a winch and ARB Front Bumper that weights 80lbs alone. Jeep sits level, no spacers. Running Rancho 5000x shocks.

My rig got 2.75" of lift. I had to install relocation brackets as I didn't want to cut corners and drill any holes in the frame mounts.

IMG-1553.jpg

Reactions: MountaineerTom
I'm running 934s front (zj v8) and 949s rear (heavy, LJ). I have a winch and ARB Front Bumper that weights 80lbs alone. Jeep sits level, no spacers. Running Rancho 5000x shocks.

My rig got 2.75" of lift. I had to install relocation brackets as I didn't want to cut corners and drill any holes in the frame mounts.

View attachment 142132

Hey! I know its been a while since you posted, but I don't want to drill any holes too.

I know there is a relocation bracket for the rear track bar. But is there one for the front track bar as well? I cannot find one.

Reactions: freebo86
Hey! I know its been a while since you posted, but I don't want to drill any holes too.

I know there is a relocation bracket for the rear track bar. But is there one for the front track bar as well? I cannot find one.

Hi, i just re-read my post and it was actually a typo. I never installed any relocation brackets. What I ended up installing was front and rear adjustable trackbars and these bolted right into the OEM location, no drilling or additional brackets required.

The parts I used where these;
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00B2AF0MU/?tag=tjforum-20

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00VMXAGWQ/?tag=tjforum-20

Reactions: TJim

For the front you just want an adjustable trackbar. Drilling another hole is not really a good idea.

Reactions: TJim
I started with the heavy duty 2933/2942 springs. I switched to the light duty 2932/2941 springs because the ride was rough. The light duty springs definitely improved the ride but they just weren’t adequate for my heavy TJR (I got only an inch of lift) so I switched back to the HD springs. I still have the light duty springs if anyone with a light TJ is looking for some.
You still have the light spring for sale shandy. 6155337172

I started with the heavy duty 2933/2942 springs. I switched to the light duty 2932/2941 springs because the ride was rough. The light duty springs definitely improved the ride but they just weren’t adequate for my heavy TJR (I got only an inch of lift) so I switched back to the HD springs. I still have the light duty springs if anyone with a light TJ is looking for some.
You still have the light spring for sale shandy. 6155337172