2.4 Crankshaft Position Sensor

Pascal25

Supporting Member
To make a long story short, my '05 2.4L TJ has been crank-no-start since I got it last year, and I suspect the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP). I've replaced the spark plugs, checked fuel pressure, replaced spark plug wires, and more.
What is odd is that I found two (2) CKPs actually installed in the engine, and I've found very little information on this engine in this vehicle online. I did find another thread (https://www.wranglerforum.com/threads/replacing-crankshaft-position-sensor-2-4l.2342047/) showing the sensor being on the passenger side, underneath the oil filter, which matches what the FSM says about the location. However, in this location, what I found on this Jeep is that there was a CKP bolted in but without the connector: snapped off and ground smooth!
I found another CKP installed on the driver's side of the engine, near the starter, and towards the back of the engine, which is what some other online information says the location should be for some of these 2.4L Chrysler PowerTech engines. This one did have the wires connected to it, matching the diagram in the FSM. I've not been able to find anything online about definitive location for this engine, and especially nothing about having two!

Does anyone have clarity for me on what the correct location is for this sensor on this engine, or anything on why there would be two installed? I've attached a couple images that should show the situation.

Thanks in advance for any help on this!

oldCKPremoved.jpg

CKPlocationLines.jpg

oldWrongCKPunplugged.jpg

oldCKPinstalled.jpg

Reactions: Wranglerfix
My crankshaft position sensor is on drivers side next to starter.

So yours is located like shown in my third picture?
Have you noticed if you have anything next to your oil filter on the passenger side, like in my fourth picture?
Thank you for the confirmation of where yours is located though!

So yours is located like shown in my third picture?
Have you noticed if you have anything next to your oil filter on the passenger side, like in my fourth picture?
Thank you for the confirmation of where yours is located though!

I have a sensor next to my oil filter as well. If its a gray and yellow wire, that's the oil pressure sensor.

You CKP should be right near the starter. Does your tach move when you crank the motor? TJ's use the CKP to report engine speed. The connector has orange, GY/BK, BK/LB wires. 3 wire connector.

It being unplugged for whatever reason will guarantee a no start. I would assume that the sensor is bad too and that's why it's unplugged.

Last edited:
I have a sensor next to my oil filter as well. If its a gray and yellow wire, that's the oil pressure sensor.

You CKP should be right near the starter. Does your tach move when you crank the motor? TJ's use the CKP to report engine speed. The connector has orange, GY/BK, BK/LB wires. 3 wire connector.

It being unplugged for whatever reason will guarantee a no start. I would assume that the sensor is bad too and that's why it's unplugged.

I meant the sensor shown in my fourth picture, which doesn't have wires or connector! And certainly looks just like a (broken) CKP, even having 3 visible corroded copper connections. The oil pressure sensor is also present nearby.

The picture where I show the other CKP near the starter was plugged in when I initially found it, and did have those correct wire colors, just unplugged when I took that picture.

For more context, before I had found where either of these CKPs were, when trying to start the engine, it did try to start, and even had some combustion. I do not recall for sure whether the tach moved, but I think so.

My next plan will be to put the new Mopar CKP I bought back by the starter, move the wires back over there, and try again. Perhaps the CKP the PO put in was faulty and lead me down this goose chase.

I meant the sensor shown in my fourth picture, which doesn't have wires or connector! And certainly looks just like a (broken) CKP, even having 3 visible corroded copper connections. The oil pressure sensor is also present nearby.

The picture where I show the other CKP near the starter was plugged in when I initially found it, and did have those correct wire colors, just unplugged when I took that picture.

For more context, before I had found where either of these CKPs were, when trying to start the engine, it did try to start, and even had some combustion. I do not recall for sure whether the tach moved, but I think so.

My next plan will be to put the new Mopar CKP I bought back by the starter, move the wires back over there, and try again. Perhaps the CKP the PO put in was faulty and lead me down this goose chase.
Well, there's only one CKP. The 4th pic is this. Knock sensor by the looks of it.

IMG_1779.jpg

Well, there's only one CKP. The 4th pic is this. Knock sensor by the looks of it.

View attachment 506949

Oh, I had not realized that the 2.4s had knock sensors. I can't find much on it in the FSM, do you have more info on a part number or location?

Here's another image of the sensor I found in the location near the oil filter, that I thought was where the CKP belongs, side by side with a CKP I bought on rockauto.

IMG_20240305_153142_909.jpg

Oh, I had not realized that the 2.4s had knock sensors. I can't find much on it in the FSM, do you have more info on a part number or location?

Here's another image of the sensor I found in the location near the oil filter, that I thought was where the CKP belongs, side by side with a CKP I bought on rockauto.

View attachment 506957

I’ve only had my 2.4 for six months. Not too familiar with it myself. But motors don’t have two crank sensors.

Try and find a pigtail and give me the wire colors. I gotta head to class, once I get back from the gym I’ll look at the wiring diagrams.

I’ve only had my 2.4 for six months. Not too familiar with it myself. But motors don’t have two crank sensors.

Try and find a pigtail and give me the wire colors. I gotta head to class, once I get back from the gym I’ll look at the wiring diagrams.

No pigtails in the area of that broken/connectorless sensor to be found

View attachment 506957

If you cycle your key to the run position do you get a trouble code on the dash by chance?

Update:
Put new Mopar CKP back into apparently correct location, near starter, contrary to what I saw in FSM. I did find with an endoscope though that the tonewheel is visible through this hole, so it must be the right spot.
With the sensor back here, I'm back to the problem I had when I first tried getting this to start, which is something like a "partial start" or lots of misfires. Here's a link to a recording of trying to start it, where the RPMs do show up, but it just sounds like only some of the cylinders are firing.

Any thoughts?

If you cycle your key to the run position do you get a trouble code on the dash by chance?

Do currently have CEL visible on dash, but my code reader tells me there is no stored nor pending codes. I did have P0335 for Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit when I had the CKP in the wrong position on the engine, but seemingly not anymore.

You should check your cam sensor as well. The cam sensor is adjustable and is known to come loose and make contact with the cam gear. The camshaft sensor is located on the passenger side of the cylinder head behind the dust cover for the timing belt

If any one of the crankshaft or camshaft sensor is out the Jeep will not run if at all. I had the same problem so I changed them both. My crankshaft sensor was soaked in oil from a leaking valve cover and my camshaft sensor had came loose and had really bad grind marks from hitting the cam gear.

If any one of the crankshaft or camshaft sensor is out the Jeep will not run if at all. I had the same problem so I changed them both. My crankshaft sensor was soaked in oil from a leaking valve cover and my camshaft sensor had came loose and had really bad grind marks from hitting the cam gear.

I did check the CMP a few months ago, but I'll do so again to make sure it's still in place and at the right gap.

Do you think either of those sensors can lead to the video above, where the engine is firing, but sounds terrible and won't start?

IMG_20240307_062418_171.jpg

I did check the CMP a few months ago, but I'll do so again to make sure it's still in place and at the right gap.

Do you think either of those sensors can lead to the video above, where the engine is firing, but sounds terrible and won't start?

View attachment 507351

Have you figured out what that other sensor is under the oil filter?

Have you figured out what that other sensor is under the oil filter?

Nothing definitive yet, just the clues of that link in the first post of someone else saying that's where the crankshaft position sensor is, the sensor I found in that spot very strongly resembling a crankshaft position sensor with the connector ground off, and the FSM saying that's where the crankshaft position sensor goes!
Seems still very odd to me all those clues, with the correct spot on my engine definitely being over by the starter.

IMG_20240305_132327_520.jpg

Tried again with a bit of starter fluid yesterday morning, and to me it sounds like it's so close to starting up, but it's as if not all of the cylinders are firing.
Also, the tach does definitely show the CKP is being seen by the computer.
Today I'm going to double check the spacing of the CMP, and try to check out the injectors to make sure all 4 are good.