2.5 camshaft problems: Way too much end play

Shane Jacob

Hey people. Here's my old 1997 2.5l 5speed TJ. I've been working on it for a long long time, body off frame. Fast forward, Jeeps all back together, but dosent want to idle, Cam.and crank sync problems. Before y'all say it needs sensors, EVERY single engine Management sensor and component has been replaced with Mopar OEM. No funky engine mods just stock. Now here's what I have found through my long period of diag, after going over all electrical, and using the DRB2 at the Mopar dealer I work for, I have found this..my camshaft can move forward over an INCH out of my engine block. I think I've found my problem lmao. Has anybody seen this???

Reactions: Chris
It won't move that much with the timing chain installed. Look at the inside of the cover, if it was moving that much the cover would be all chewed up. Probably just need a new chain, I'm pretty sure that you can get a double roller timing chain for that engine. Lot better and stronger than stock.

Reactions: Chris
It moves just as far with chain on. I can turn the distributor housing and make the cam touch the cover. Here it is moving with chain on. Having the harmonic balancer on or off makes no difference.

When you get the camshaft and lifters out, let us know what it was. Taking the valve cover off will give you a pretty good idea when it's running.

Wow, that's weird as hell. I know nothing about the 2.5 engine, but it would seem that a bearing or retainer clip must be missing I would think.