2.5 engine problems

Anders229

Hello from Sweden,

I got this 1997 TJ with the squirrel engine 2,5 and it has some problems, but no error codes at all, and no CEL.
At first, it never starts on the first try, I has to turn off the key and then on again and then it starts? No problem really, runs clean about one minute, then it "shudders and spits" for a while now and then and runs fine in between. I have cleaned the throttlebody, injectors, new downstream O2 sensor, and new cranksensor (they showed error codes) but nothing is better. Plugs, lines, rotor and cap is 1 year old maybe.
I'm getting crazy, I cant just replace everything just guessing!
So I'm up for some advice from the knowledge here!🙏

Maybe check your fuel pressure and frame mounted fuel filter.

Another good one to check is the ground wire for your PCM which is mounted on the passenger side of the engine block above and forward of your starter.

That's all I have for ideas, hope you get it sorted mate.

Cheers

Reactions: SSTJ
Maybe check your fuel pressure and frame mounted fuel filter.

Another good one to check is the ground wire for your PCM which is mounted on the passenger side of the engine block above and forward of your starter.

That's all I have for ideas, hope you get it sorted mate.

Cheers

Great, thanks for the input, I will check them all! What fuel pressure should I have?

I agree that it sounds fuel pump related as it doesnt start on the first try. Sounds like you have fuel pressure issues.

I would do a good visual check of all your wiring. loose connections, chaft/bare wires, broken grounds loose grounds, melted wires.

Reactions: thedustyboot
From what I can remember it should be around 49PSI +/- 2PSI

Great, thanks! 🙏

I agree that it sounds fuel pump related as it doesnt start on the first try. Sounds like you have fuel pressure issues.

I would do a good visual check of all your wiring. loose connections, chaft/bare wires, broken grounds loose grounds, melted wires.

Thanks,

I will check pressure, filter and go through wiring and stuff this weekend, hope I find anything!

Also, welcome to the forum. You might enjoy the 4-cylinder thread, and also the 1997 thread, in my signature line. Let us know if you have anything to add to those.

Also, welcome to the forum. You might enjoy the 4-cylinder thread, and also the 1997 thread, in my signature line. Let us know if you have anything to add to those.

Both have been super helpful to me. Lots of good info.

Reactions: SSTJ
Hello from Sweden,

I got this 1997 TJ with the squirrel engine 2,5 and it has some problems, but no error codes at all, and no CEL.
At first, it never starts on the first try, I has to turn off the key and then on again and then it starts? No problem really, runs clean about one minute, then it "shudders and spits" for a while now and then and runs fine in between. I have cleaned the throttlebody, injectors, new downstream O2 sensor, and new cranksensor (they showed error codes) but nothing is better. Plugs, lines, rotor and cap is 1 year old maybe.
I'm getting crazy, I cant just replace everything just guessing!
So I'm up for some advice from the knowledge here!🙏

See this video it may help,

Thanks! I've been lurking here for a while, and a lot in those threads! Lots of good info there!

See this video it may help,
Nice, that reader would be nice to have. What is that, some universal or is it Jeep specific?
I replaced the downstream with the correct NTK sensor, but I cant get hold of the correct upstream sensor (NTK 23506 according to O2 sensor thread on this forum) I guess that the sensor is the same on many cars, just the plug and wire length thats different, how do I know?

I have a 97 2.5 that will flood out when I plug in the fuel punp.pump.. it will fill 2 cylinders with fuel. But runs really rough with it not plugged in.. looking for some ideas why..

Many of us are willing to help but I do not really understand your question. You have to give more specifics. 1 is the engine running or not, 2 what position is your key in, etc

when is it fill up two cylinders?
if you unplug the fuel pump your engine runs rough? it should shut off almost immediately with it unplugged