2" or 3" lift? Help me decide

mas08

New here. Will try to keep it simple.

Deciding between adding 2" coils or 3" coils (in place of my 1.75" spacers). Goal is to add 1"-2" more lift to my TJ than I currently have. I use it as a DD. Want to stay as economical/problem free as possible.

What extra parts will I need (transfer case drop, end links, control arms)? Is there going to be a difference in extra parts between the 2" and 3" or is it the same?

I currently have a 1.25" body lift and 33x12.5 Falken tires.

Any advice appreciated. Thank you.

Current Jeep.jpg

Last edited:
I'm assuming you don't plan to do any real serious off-roading with it?

If that is the case, I would go with a 2" suspension lift (I'd suggest OME or BDS springs and Rancho RS5000X shocks) and a 1" body lift.

That will work great on the street and won't break the bank.

2" alone will fit 33s, but still, 3" is advisable.

If you're going to run 33's the Zone combo 4.25" would be ideal. It's 3" of suspension lift with a 1.25" body lift. Or you could build your own around that concept.

If you're looking for just a 2 or 3" lift, there is a difference. You probably would not get driveline vibes with a 2", but would with a 3"; would not need front adjustable trackbar with 2", would with a 3"; would not need an SYE, would need an SYE; there might be a few other things depending on your TJ. Nice rig!

Reactions: Blondie70
Thanks guys.

I already have a 1.25" body lift and 33 inch tires.

No off-roading outside of an occasional dirt road.

If you're looking for just a 2 or 3" lift, there is a difference. You probably would not get driveline vibes with a 2", but would with a 3"; would not need front adjustable trackbar with 2", would with a 3"; would not need an SYE, would need an SYE; there might be a few other things depending on your TJ. Nice rig!

I can't believe all of these extra parts/expenses for just 1 inch!

I can't believe all of these extra parts/expenses for just 1 inch!
2-3" is a dividing line. You can do things cheaply, of course. Get a 3" lift, drop the TCase, live with your axles off set. Every change begets another change.

Reactions: Blondie70 and mas08
New here. Will try to keep it simple.

Deciding between adding 2" coils or 3" coils (in place of my 1.75" spacers). Goal is to add 1"-2" more lift to my TJ than I currently have. I use it as a DD. Want to stay as economical/problem free as possible.

What extra parts will I need (transfer case drop, end links, control arms)? Is there going to be a difference in extra parts between the 2" and 3" or is it the same?

I currently have a 1.25" body lift and 33x12.5 Falken tires.

Any advice appreciated. Thank you.

View attachment 137991

To run a 33 inch tire properly you need a few things that you dont seem to want to budget in.
  • Adjustable Track Bars, front and rear
  • Proper bump stops/adjustments
  • Adjustable front & rear upper and lower control arms
  • SYE and new driveshaft
  • Bigger brake upgrade matching the taller and wider tire and wheel “upgrade”
  • Proper re-gear in front and rear axle housings, bringing back the factory power. You are robbing your engine right now without a re-gear. (unbeknownst to most people, a re-gear is a huge benefit to on road driving)

If it were me, I would remove the ugly body lift, remove the cheap spring pucks and replace it all with a 31 inch tire and 2 inch spring setup. Adjust the bumps properly and use Rancho RS5000x shocks for a much improved ride on the road.

You could get away with a cheap transfer case skid lowering kit and a mml to wrap it all up, but it’s a bandaid fix at the end of the day.

Reactions: JMT
the rear has room, the front could use a bit more.

i'd leave the BL.
remove the 1.75" spacers in the rear and replace those with +2" springs. adds .25" to the back end.
then i'd remove the front spacers and replace those with +2.5" springs (maybe a +3" if it's got any rake, hard to tell there) adds 3/4-1.25" to the front end.

be sure you have a rear TB relocate bracket, a new front adjustable TB. some adjustable sway links, and check the travel of the shocks and replace those if needed when you change springs.

now be warned changing springs is entirely dependent on vehicle weight a +2 could be a +1.5 under a heavy set up, or a +2.5 if your light

the rear has room, the front could use a bit more.

i'd leave the BL.
remove the 1.75" spacers in the rear and replace those with +2" springs. adds .25" to the back end.
then i'd remove the front spacers and replace those with +2.5" springs (maybe a +3" if it's got any rake, hard to tell there) adds 3/4-1.25" to the front end.

be sure you have a rear TB relocate bracket, a new front adjustable TB. some adjustable sway links, and check the travel of the shocks and replace those if needed when you change springs.

now be warned changing springs is entirely dependent on vehicle weight a +2 could be a +1.5 under a heavy set up, or a +2.5 if your light

Ok. Maybe going with 2" coils (BDS or Procomp) and adding 3/4" spacers on the front only?

My ride, I guess, is pretty light. No winch or heavy front bumper. No back seat. A small spare. The only weight is the hard top.

Any word on what the proper travel is supposed to be? My current shocks are 13.9 collapsed, 22.9 extended.

i'd not buy springs and add a spacer, i'd buy 2 different heights +2 for the back and 2.5-3" for the front.

looking at the gap from wheel to flare in the rear is not bad, you need only a minimal increase, a +2" spring should net a 1/4" there, and not upset the drive line much.
the distance in the front is much tighter and leads me to believe you could go a bit more there, a +2.5-3" spring should provide this.
measuring the difference between rear tire to flare and front tire to flare should clue you into whats the right height or the rake you like best.
you can even put a jack under the front bumper and play with it and see what evening the distances will look like.

Reactions: JMT and Blondie70
i'd not buy springs and add a spacer, i'd buy 2 different heights +2 for the back and 2.5-3" for the front.

looking at the gap from wheel to flare in the rear is not bad, you need only a minimal increase, a +2" spring should net a 1/4" there, and not upset the drive line much.
the distance in the front is much tighter and leads me to believe you could go a bit more there, a +2.5-3" spring should provide this.
measuring the difference between rear tire to flare and front tire to flare should clue you into whats the right height or the rake you like best.
you can even put a jack under the front bumper and play with it and see what evening the distances will look like.

7" of space between rear tire/rear flare. 5.5" in the front. So... 1.5" of rake.

Dumb question, but are using spacers less safe? Seems like .75" spacers would sit perfectly between the 2 sized coils you suggested for the front.

Going with different sized coils would mean I'd need to order different sized shocks?

7" of space between rear tire/rear flare. 5.5" in the front. So... 1.5" of rake.

Dumb question, but are using spacers less safe? Seems like .75" spacers would sit perfectly between the 2 sized coils you suggested for the front.

Going with different sized coils would mean I'd need to order different sized shocks?
Spacers are not unsafe at all.

Most likely go with the 0-2” Rancho 5000x in the rear and the 2.5” in the front.

Reactions: mas08
all depends on how far you decide to push the lift.

if the shocks are correct length now, a 1/4" increase in the rear is minimal, and what you have may work.
if you choose to lift the front a little higher, then you should likely lengthen that shocks travel some.

spacers and not unsafe, and others often use them as leveling devices.

1.75" exist's right now as seen in that pic, right?

rear looks good, more is gonna make you want bigger wheels, remove the spacer and add a +2 spring
you can go 2.5 if you want higher but your risking drive line upset, requiring adjustments. and may not need new shocks in the rear with only 1/4" increase, 2.5 might/will.

remove the spacer up front, get +3 springs there, and figure new length shocks up front.

now your rear should show/hold a 7.25" gap and the front should be like 6.75".
this is estimates, again vehicle weight can effect the #'s some, either way.

Reactions: mas08
Alright guys. Want to say thanks for the help.

I really want to go big and do the 3" lift (of course we all want to go bigger, right)? But after talking with everyone here, it seems like that will involve more of an investment than I'm willing to undertake. My Jeep is 16 yrs old and I only use it as a DD. No off roading or anything like that.

I also think my stock coils might have a bit of sag in them. So there's a chance that replacing them and the spacers with 2" coils might net me about a full inch of additional lift.

Anyway I appreciate the help. Gonna stick with 2" coils. Now I am going to start researching which ones to buy (Pro Comp or BDS) and take it from there.