2" Suspension Lift Question

JHammett

It doesn't go any faster...
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Hi all,

My TJ sits on 31s (and I have no plans to go bigger anytime soon) without any aftermarket lift and I want to give it a bit more performance offroad. I had been planning on doing a 2" BB and replacing the stock shocks with RanchoRS500x shocks, but seeing as this is the original suspension and my Jeep has 121K miles on it, I figured replacing the coil springs would make more sense especially given that I have recently installed a heavy duty front bumper and plan on adding a winch in the near future. I am leaning towards the OME 2" HD coil springs. Do you agree?

My questions with this build are:

1. Which OME springs do I need? I see online that the OME HD springs are 2" in the rear and 1.5" in the front. Is that correct?

2. When purchasing the Ranchos should I get the 0-2" or the 2-3" option?

3. Will I need anything else? bump stop extensions (if so which?), different hardware?

*I know that a TC drop may be needed, but will determine this after the suspension is installed and I also plan on being okay with the tires being pushed to one side in the front and the other in the rear.*

Thanks for the help!

If you don't like the ride new shocks can help. The Ranchos cost up travel over stock replacements because they are too long, even the 0" versions. You can make stock work just fine with cheap replacement springs like Moog CC782 to offset the extra weight of a bumper or winch. Money is better spent on other stuff if you want better trail performance. If you aren't changing tire size you aren't gonna get any further on the trail with a lift. It's just so you like how it looks. Plenty of people go the 2" lift route but you really aren't improving much of anything if you still are on 31" tires. Spend your money on things like an air compressor, fire extinguisher, recovery gear and tools before you lift for the tires you already run fine. When you want to get further research running 33" tires.

This is where I have purchased two OME lift kits from, https://www.rocky-road.com/ome-suspension.html. Check them out
About 20 years ago RRO was called Summit Off Road and their Customer Service SUCKED....
I had purchased a set of rock rails for a '98 XJ and the delivery date kept being pushed back. Purchase to Delivery took about 8 months due to so many excuses I lost track... and they wouldn't refund my money since I was told they were in the process of being built.

My stock springs had ZERO sag (12" front/8" rear) with 130,000 miles on them. Unless it's the ice cream, I'd avoid Rocky Road at all costs. With a heavy front bumper and winch, I'd go with 3" front and 2" rear for the lift. I did that on my old Jeep. You'll want the Rancho shocks for 0-2" lift.