2000 TJ Air filter box and tube

lowranger

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
When I bought my Jeep over 5 years ago it came with the K&N air filter. I want to put the stock air filter box and tube back on my 2000 TJ 4.0. I've been looking around and see several different places saying anywhere from 1997 to 2002 will fit my 2000 to 1997 to 2006. And they don't say if its a 6 cyl or 4 cyl. So just need a little help to find the one that will fit my 2000 4.0. Does it make a diff if its off a 6 or 4 cyl? What years will fit my 2000?

Good decision to go back to the superior OE air intake and a good paper element air filter like from AC-Delco. Pretty sure the only change that would make a difference was in 2005-06 when the IAT sensor was added to the air intake tube. I don't see any difference between the air intake boxes used on my present '04 vs. my '97. I haven't seen the 2.5 vs. 4.0L air intake boxes side-by-side but I can't imagine the 2.5 air intake fitting your 4.0L properly.

The airbox and air intake tube are different for 1997-2004 models, and 2005-2006 models.

So you need an air intake tube and airbox from a 1997-2004 TJ with a 4.0 engine.

I went through this when I had to find a replacement for mine. It can be verified with the factory part numbers though, just so you know:

Airbox: https://www.wermopar.com/oem-parts/...nbGVyJnk9MjAwMCZ0PXNhaGFyYSZlPTQtMGwtbDYtZ2Fz
Air Intake Tube: https://www.wermopar.com/oem-parts/...lciZ5PTIwMDAmdD1zYWhhcmEmZT00LTBsLWw2LWdhcw==

Notice that where it says what models those fits, it only says 1997-2004 models.

Reactions: AjoWay
Thanks Jerry.....Yes, I've been wanting to go back to the better stock set up for awhile. Like you, I don't believe the 4 cyl one would fit my 6 cyl, but some people selling one says it will fit. I find it hard to believe. I think they just want to sell it. Thanks for your info!

The airbox and air intake tube are different for 1997-2004 models, and 2005-2006 models.

So you need an air intake tube and airbox from a 1997-2004 TJ with a 4.0 engine.

I went through this when I had to find a replacement for mine. It can be verified with the factory part numbers though, just so you know:

Airbox: https://www.wermopar.com/oem-parts/...nbGVyJnk9MjAwMCZ0PXNhaGFyYSZlPTQtMGwtbDYtZ2Fz
Air Intake Tube: https://www.wermopar.com/oem-parts/mopar-air-duct-53030611/?c=Zz1lbmdpbmUmcz1haXItaW50YWtlJmk9V0o5NzI0MDUmcj0xMSZhPWplZXAmbz13cmFuZ2xlciZ5PTIwMDAmdD1zYWhhcmEmZT00LTBsLWw2LWdhcw==

Notice that where it says what models those fits, it only says 1997-2004 models.
Thank you so much Chris! That's just what I needed!! I see the box itself will fit both the 6 and 4 cyl, and of course the tube is diff for the 6 cyl.
So 1997 to 2004 is what I need! Thank you!! I love this forum!

Reactions: bobthetj03
Hello all, this is the first time i post something, and this seems to be the perfect place, i been reading a lot of post from you jerry, i hope you can help me

I have a 2004 jeep TJ, when i bought it it came with a cold air intake, but the difference is, my tj have the IAT sensor in the air intake tube, the intake manifold does not have the temperature sensor or anything like that, if you open the hood you would think it is a 2005 - 2006 jeep, Ive been having problems about the O2 sensors (bank1 sensor 1, the jeep have the california emissions configuration) i ordered the sensor in the dealership after a lot of problems, they ordered the specific O2 sensor but when it arrived it doesnt fit! They returned me my money but now i dont know if i need the O2 sensor of the 2005 model, i mean, after all i have all the intake system of the later model (the dealership scan all the info related to the VIN number but then again anything important)

Have any of you heard something about this problem?? My jeep was made on july 2004 and it seems to have parts of the newer model or at least to be in between the production years)

Thanks for the help!