2000 Wrangler reverse lights

snapper3

Ok I've got a 2000 Wrangler with automatic trans and the reverse lights have a mind of thier own.
Yes they work in reverse but when you drop it in drive the go off and on and blink, go off, stay on etc. I've had the console out ,didn't see any adjustments. Followed the shift cable down to the trans, still not seeing anything wrong. Found the plug on the trans and nothing looks wrong with it either. Any suggestions??

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It sounds like a short somewhere. Do you have a wiring harness for a trailer? Some installers can do a bad job of splicing the wires, or the premade splices on the plug and play kits can go bad. The PO of my Jeep let the wires drag on the ground until they shorted out

Shorts cause fuses to blow and/or smoke, this problem is not from a short. Two guesses include 1) the transmission shifter cable has stretched a bit so its length is slightly out of adjustment or 2) the Park/Neutral position switch which also includes the Reverse switch has failed. The Park/Neutral switch is screwed into the transmission at the rear.

If in addition to the Reverse light being wonky the starter doesn't reliably engage in Park or Neutral without jiggling the shift handle that would make me believe the cable length is out of adjustment. If it start reliably in Park and Neutral I'd guess the Park/Neutral switch has gone bad or perhaps its connector is failing or not fully seated.

Reactions: Steel City 06
I have actually seen shorts to other circuits than to ground. Such as the brake light and running light circuits shorting to one another. Doesn't often blow a fuse, but can light the other circuit's lights. Although it is rare

I have actually seen shorts to other circuits than to ground. Such as the brake light and running light circuits shorting to one another. Doesn't often blow a fuse, but can light the other circuit's lights. Although it is rare
His symptoms would not make me think short. I spent way too many years fixing/troubleshooting often extremely complex electrical/electronic circuits.

Reactions: Steel City 06