2000 Wrangler Sport tune-up question

Olds Starfire, now that brings back memories. My best friends mom had a red 62' convertible with the big engine (over 400 CI if I remember) and the auto trans with the shift in the console. That's one car that you don't see anymore but she was a beauty.
Yeah it really was, my dad let me drive it quite a bit while I was in high school. It had a big-ass 394 engine but the Olds was so heavy that my friend's 327 Chevy Impala could beat it with ease. It did have the shifter in the console but I hated the fact that the big gauge in front of the shifter was only a vacuum gauge while the sportier '62 Pontiac Grand Prix had the way cool tach there instead.

Newer ignitions recommend .040, older with the conventional distributor caps recommend .035. Least near as I can remember, but it's not critical so long as it's close to either of those. Be careful how you gap them, you don't want to damage the iridium coating by sliding a gapping tool in between the electrodes to force them open. Instead, use a notched style of gapping tool that bends the electrode up or down until you measure the right gap. They should come gapped "close enough" in the box but double check them anyway.

Thank you and great point on using the tool. I have orb but I'll definitely us the notched. Thanks agai !

The only thing you need for a 2000 with the 4.0L are spark plugs, so you don't need any kind of a tuneup kit. If Quadratec's tuneup kit shows a distributor cap for the 4.0L engine, that is for a '99 or older engine which does have a distributor.

2000 and newer 4.0L engines are very fussy about what spark plugs they'll run well on. The two spark plugs I recommend is 1) the Autolite XP985 which is an iridium tipped plug which will perform well for around 200k miles. And 2), the Autolite APP985 which is platinum tipped on both sides of the gap (called double-tipped) which will perform well for around 100k miles. Those of course aren't the only plugs that will perform well but they're extremely popular because they work well and they're easy to find.

Make sure NOT to use plugs like the Autolite AP985 or Champion 3034 even though some spark plug guidebooks erroneously show then as correct. Those two plugs have their platinum coating on just one side of the gap (called single-tipped) which will cause misfires for later distributorless 4.0L engines like your girlfriend's.

I used to recommend the Champion 7034 but long-term results with it aren't as good as the other two plugs recommended above.

Hi Jerry, my 04 has 160k miles, would you also say I just need plugs, nothing more (assuming the plug wires look ok etc).. ? thanks

Yep just plugs, Autolite's XP985 iridium tipped plug would be a superb choice, their APP985 double tipped (platinum on both sides of the electrode gap) platinum would be a close second choice.

Make sure not to install single tipped platinum plugs like the Autolite AP985 or Champion 3034. Some guides incorrectly say they're appropriate for newer TJs like yours but they'll eventually cause misfires.

[Thank you k="Jerry Bransford, post: 21336, member: 133"]Yep just plugs, Autolite's XP985 iridium tipped plug would be a superb choice, their APP985 double tipped (platinum on both sides of the electrode gap) platinum would be a close second choice.

Make sure not to install single tipped platinum plugs like the Autolite AP985 or Champion 3034. Some guides incorrectly say they're appropriate for newer TJs like yours but they'll eventually cause misfires.[/QUOTE]
Thank you sir

Newer ignitions recommend .040, older with the conventional distributor caps recommend .035. Least near as I can remember, but it's not critical so long as it's close to either of those. Be careful how you gap them, you don't want to damage the iridium coating by sliding a gapping tool in between the electrodes to force them open. Instead, use a notched style of gapping tool that bends the electrode up or down until you measure the right gap. They should come gapped "close enough" in the box but double check them anyway.

Changed the plugs the third week of July. I know we don't drive these for fuel economy, but the mileage went up from about 14.2 to 17. That doesn't sound like much, but it is almost a 20% increase in mileage. Thanks for the tip Jerry.

Reactions: Woodstock67
Changed the plugs the third week of July. I know we don't drive these for fuel economy, but the mileage went up from about 14.2 to 17. That doesn't sound like much, but it is almost a 20% increase in mileage. Thanks for the tip Jerry.

Not surprising! Bad spark plugs will do that.

Reactions: DC0046
Interesting! I have thought it would look so much different on an old AC system.
when I bought my 59 chevy it was a texas car and had an underdash MKIV a/cunit with a York compressor. I can remember 45 yrs ago going with my dad to pick up his dodge wagon which he just had the same style MKIV with a York compressor installed . this was in the late 60's

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris