2000 Wrangler TJ radio cutting in and out

RAC02

TJ Enthusiast
The radio keeps cutting in and out. I have taken the glove box out and checked the antenna connection. It appears to be ok. The radio is the factory radio. I have heard something about the ground wire could cause this. Does anything know a fix?

Without knowing the actual problem the fix will be hard to know. Pull the radio out and see what the wires are like. When you say "cutting in and cutting out" do you mean the radio turns off and on or the stations get static and then clear? If you are talking static like frequency drift then it is probably in the antenna somewhere. The actual antenna or the cable. Does it connect tightly into the back of the radio? Just looking in the glovebox won't tell you much.

It's almost like the volume. Kinda like the reception is lost then regained. I looked behind the glovebox to check the antenna connection which appeared good

Again, there is more to the antenna than what you see in the glovebox. What about the connection to the head unit? How about the connection to the antenna itself? Is the cable kinked? If you have a flat tire it takes more than to look at the valvestem. If the signal is drifting or fading in and out then it is almost a guarantee the antenna or cable is the problem. Make sure the antenna is secure to its base and that it isn't grounding out on the metal.

I had a similar problem. My radio was just cutting out when it had a good signal. Turned out to be a loose ground wire on the amp. No problems since tightening.

The radio still does the volume cutting in and out. I checked the radio and even sprayed some electrical cleaner on the connections. I don't believe I have an amp due to this being the factory radio. It cuts in and out almost like a shorted wire?