2001' 32rh swapped into a 1992 YJ, with a 4.0 AX15

joejedenast

Hello all, I just subscribed to the forum. I realize this is a TJ forum but, over the years my 92 YJ 4.0 has morphed, it's a bit of a Frankenstein.
My next modification is to remove the stock AX15, and replace it with a 32RH auto from a 2001 TJ.
I've already purchased it along with; flexplate, inspection cover, kick down cable along with mounting brackets, cps, torque converter bolts, transmission mount, pedal assembly, shifter with center counsel and shift cable. All from the same 2001 donor vehicle. Oh and a trans cooler.
My question is regarding the torque converter lock out relay. Of course the YJ ECM won't communicate with the 32RH. Would it be possible to use the ECM from the donor vehicle? Or, would I just be better off running a toggle switch to the TCC? And lastly if I did use the toggle switch at what speed would I energize the TCC to lock out the torque convertor?

A standard SPST on-off switch can be used to lock up the torque converter, its solenoid just needs a switched ground to work. Of course the other side of the solenoid needs 12v.

Just flip the switch when you've reached a reasonable cruising speed.

Or perhaps the PCM from a 1995 4.0 YJ with automatic might work, I'm pretty sure l it is programmed so it can control the lock up torque converter for you.

Last edited: