2001 Jeep TJ frame rot: Should I fix it or swap the frame?

jws123

First off HI I am new to the forum I have been on other Jeep forums but only just came across this one.

I have had many wranglers/Jeeps but I just picked up a 2001 wrangler 60th anniversary edition 6 speed manual 4.0 with 170k I got a great deal got it for under $1000. According to the guy I got it from it sat for about 4 years it fired right up with a jump as expected :) and drove onto the trailer. It has A LOT of frame rot the front half is good the rear is good however the middle both rear control arm mounts and 1 front control arm mount is questionable. The rest of the jeep is solid no rot not even on body mounts or the floors. I am wondering if I should try to do a frame swap or put 2 full safety caps on it on my old wrangler I replaced 1 full side before I sold it but I really question how strong these things really are.. I would appreciate opinions should i just fix it? or do a frame swap? If i can find one that is.

Here is 2 pics I will get better ones tomorrow.
IMG_20200702_133753.jpg
IMG_20200702_133806.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: RHP61
Holy moly that’s bad. That’s what I would consider to be worth nothing more than parts, unless you want to put 5k plus into swapping in a rust free frame.

5k to swap frame? Forgot to mention I am a mechanic I do my own work :) I just have had no luck finding a frame local yet. Thats why i started looking into the repair caps I also find it weird that the rest of the jeep has no rot lol not even on the fenders even my old tj the body mounts where rotted off the tub ect.

I will get more pics of whole jeep tomorrow and better ones of frame after I clean it out .

Last edited:
You could probably cap that. I'd prefer to frame swap it but there is no problem with caps if you just want a cheapo run around town Jeep.

You're going to have a real hard time finding a frame around NJ. I spent a few months searching for one in that area before I just went down south and got one. You should be able to get one for $1500 max.

You could probably cap that. I'd prefer to frame swap it but there is no problem with caps if you just want a cheapo run around town Jeep.

You're going to have a real hard time finding a frame around NJ. I spent a few months searching for one in that area before I just went down south and got one. You should be able to get one for $1500 max.

It will just be for around town basically Nj really has no off road places and yea I have looked at 2 frames already for $1200-1500 so far they look like if I took a hammer to them they would of just fell apart might wind up going out of state like you said if I decide to get a frame. I just want to know if I get into a accident I have a slight chance of not splitting it in half ahah not that tj's are safe to begin with.

Last edited:
Car-part

Order a southern frame and swap it. I wouldn’t try to cap that. Get a new frame and treat it so you don’t end up back at square one. That’s a rusty mofo for sure. How’s the body?

Can't imagine what the inside looks like! Holy💩! You would need a cap that runs from the front to the rear bumper. I'd definitely recommend a replacement. You'll probably be chasing internal rot until it is all replaced anyway. Do it all at once or do it piece by piece.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
The body on it is good inside is clean still has orig floor mats lol got it from orig owner front and rear of frame by bumper is surprisingly solid starting to lean towards frame swap if i can find one local ish or one that doesn't cost a arm and a leg to get here.

Car-part

Order a southern frame and swap it. I wouldn’t try to cap that. Get a new frame and treat it so you don’t end up back at square one. That’s a rusty mofo for sure. How’s the body?

What is the best way/thing to use to treat insides of these frames?

I Have decided I am Going to safety cap it for now will replace frame whenever I can get one not off roading with it at the moment. So what brand cap do you guys recommend? I see them range from $300 on amazon for all 4 pieces to some local person $800 per full size which is crazy.

Last edited:
I would start with a less aggressive project like promoting peace in Palestine. You may be money ahead parting it out and applying the funds towards a rust free Jeep. I may sound like doom and gloom, but I think frame patches will only be a fraction of the cost and effort.

Reactions: AMS417
I would start with a less aggressive project like promoting peace in Palestine. You may be money ahead parting it out and applying the funds towards a rust free Jeep. I may sound like doom and gloom, but I think frame patches will only be a fraction of the cost and effort.

I paid $300 for the jeep Lol sure I could part it out and make a decent amount but I dont mind doing the work and the rest of the jeep is decent to me its worth fixing. Also finding a rust free jeep solid frame without a patched frame Is rare at this point.

I would swap that frame, personally. It would take less time than it would to completely fix and repaint that frame.

You could also use an aftermarket frame built to order:
https://throttledownkustoms.com/i-26373449-tj-wrangler-jeep-frame-1997-2002.htmlThe advantage there is you could order modifications if you wanted a body lift, different suspension, spring angles, wheelbase, etc. The frames can also be galvanized to keep the rust away.

Reactions: Flivver250
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Capping it is a very viable option here. I don't think anyone in their right mind would spend $3800 on a frame for a $300 Jeep (TDK frames don't make sense for any build in my opinion).

Spend a few hundred bucks, get it on the road. You can always frame swap later if you don't like the caps.

Reactions: bromel
Capping it is a very viable option here. I don't think anyone in their right mind would spend $3800 on a frame for a $300 Jeep (TDK frames don't make sense for any build in my opinion).

Spend a few hundred bucks, get it on the road. You can always frame swap later if you don't like the caps.

Thats what I figure if i ever run across a nice solid frame I can always swap at a later date.