2001 TJ Airbag Disable Switch Open

tjmorton

Hopefully someone has had this issue and can provide a little direction.... 2001 TJ SE, airbag light on instrument cluster has been coming on/off intermittently over the past few weeks. No apparent rhyme or reason to when. Horn works. Cruise works. Turn signal cancel works. Turning has no impact on light on/off. Mine has the passenger airbag on/off switch on the floor, since i've owned the jeep (about 1 month) it's always been set to off and the light works.

I finally hooked up my bluedriver to it and got a code for "airbag disable switch open". I've read the threads about the light bulb going out on the control board for the passenger airbag on/off switch and that causing the fault but my light bulb is fine. I'm thinking maybe a bad connection with instrument cluster or on the passenger on/off switch board itself?

Looking for some thoughts before I tear into the instrument cluster.

I would check the electrical connections on the switch at the front of the center console.
Thanks Charles, I'll give that a shot. I'm better with wrenches, ratchets and pry bars then electronics and wiring, what am I looking for exactly? Unless it's obvious I'm not sure I can identify a bad circuit or otherwise non obvious wiring or electronic failure.

There is a harness connector plugged into the back of the switch; see if its attached. Wiggle it a little to ensure it's seated properly; the wiggling should also make sure it has a good connection if the contacts were oxidized.