2001 TJ - initial Low Power

alaskajohn

Supporting Member
TJ runs great 99% of the time but has low power initially (pulling out of the garage).

The worst experience was when off-roading. We had stopped for a hike and I got back to jeep with an immediate need to get over a minor bank and the jeep really didnt want to apply any power even with pedal all the way down. After a moment or two of slight panic thinking that I might end up having to get a tow back to town, power came back and I was up, over and all was fine, even when back to main road at highway speeds.

Nothing interesting to report on any of the gauges. No codes.

Additionally, sometimes (maybe once every four months) the Jeep wont shift out of 1st. (Automatic) I will stop at an intersection, then give it some gas and it when I get to about 20 MPH it never shifts into second... just high RPM. So, I pull over, turn it off, back on, and all is fine.

I say once every four months, that's me driving it daily, but it seems to happen for my wife whenever she drives it. Not sure what is different in our driving styles.. but she rarely drives it. Just seems consistent for her.

I have no idea if this is related to the low power. Otherwise no problems and this has been happening for as long as I have owned it (5 years).

Again, no codes.

My fear has been that the transmission is going out, but it's been years and doesn't seem to be getting worse. And of course the two issues might be completely unrelated.

176k on the engine.

Thoughts or advice on additional troubleshooting would be appreciated.

TJ runs great 99% of the time but has low power initially (pulling out of the garage).

The worst experience was when off-roading. We had stopped for a hike and I got back to jeep with an immediate need to get over a minor bank and the jeep really didnt want to apply any power even with pedal all the way down. After a moment or two of slight panic thinking that I might end up having to get a tow back to town, power came back and I was up, over and all was fine, even when back to main road at highway speeds.

Nothing interesting to report on any of the gauges. No codes.

Additionally, sometimes (maybe once every four months) the Jeep wont shift out of 1st. (Automatic) I will stop at an intersection, then give it some gas and it when I get to about 20 MPH it never shifts into second... just high RPM. So, I pull over, turn it off, back on, and all is fine.

I say once every four months, that's me driving it daily, but it seems to happen for my wife whenever she drives it. Not sure what is different in our driving styles.. but she rarely drives it. Just seems consistent for her.

I have no idea if this is related to the low power. Otherwise no problems and this has been happening for as long as I have owned it (5 years).

Again, no codes.

My fear has been that the transmission is going out, but it's been years and doesn't seem to be getting worse. And of course the two issues might be completely unrelated.

176k on the engine.

Thoughts or advice on additional troubleshooting would be appreciated.
BTW, it's a 4.0 2001 Sahara