2001 TJ Instrument Cluster Not Working

Sparkin79

Hello All - about at the end of my rope trying to fix this problem so decided to reach out here. I know there are other threads related to this and I've read these and tried many of the recommended fixes that others have used as well as many youtube videos on the same topic but still have not solved the problem. Hopefully somewhere out there someone will have a good suggestion:

We purchased this 2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport (4.0l, Inline 6, Automatic, Soft-top) last year and slowly redid brakes and other rusted components (was a Chicago owned car). The care was a trade in to a dealership where we have a family member who was looking out for a jeep for us and we grabbed it up. At the time of purchase (and trade-in from the PO) the instrument cluster was not working. The lights would light up and it would show a reading of 117K miles on the OD but the gauges themselves (fuel, tach, speedo etc.) would not work. Car runs great though.

After having shipped to Georgia from Illinois (where most of the mechanical was done) I hooked up my ODBII scanner and was getting O2 sensor codes. My goal at the time was just to get it to pass emissions. Troubleshot the O2 sensors and could find no problems - so took it to a local shop (nearest Chrysler dealer said they wouldn't work on it since it was older than 20years old). The local shop found the codes belonged to the California Emissions sensors and that at some point the PO must have had the PCM replaced with a California Emissions model - which my car was not - and indeed the PCM had "remanufactured" written on it. For a good chunk of change they replaced the PCM with another PCM. The O2 codes went away but still no gauges. Thinking they got a bad PCM the shop sent it back and was provided with another remanufactured PCM - and still no working gauges.

So here is the current problem:
- All indicator lights appear to work
- Low Fuel light is on (but there is a full tank of gas)
- MIL or Check Engine light is on but when I scan with the OBDII scanner no codes are coming back and the scanner shows MIL as "OFF".

Things I've noticed as I've been taking this thing apart:
- Aftermarket radio was installed - works fine, wiring looks correct (googled wiring set up and checked the work). However, there is an orange wire in the wiring that has been cut since it did not have a corresponding connection in the aftermarket stereo. That wire is the Fused Panel Lamps Dimmer Switch Signal.
-SKIM or SKIS (not sure the difference) appears to have been removed. There is no tell tale ring and SKIM pack on the steering wheel and the SKIM module connector is unconnected and just laying open. Additionally key does not have "jeep" on it so not sure if its a replacement/aftermarket key.

Here is what I have done:
- Grounds (as many I can find) were cleaned and tested for continuity both with a power probe 3 and multimeter. OHMS on these were between 0 and .01 on a 20k setting.
- Sprayed everything I could think of with CRC QD Electronic Cleaner (no luck)
- Followed the Vehicle Data Supplement for the 2001 Model Year that has instructions on how to troubleshoot and test the cluster.
- From the Preliminary Diagnostic Section:
- - Fused B(+) fuse #24 in PDC is good and shows correct batter voltage.
- - Fused B (+) shows correct voltage at instrument cluster connector (c1 white pin# 8 pk/wt)
- - Fused ignition switch output fuse #10 in dash is good and shows correct battery voltage when ignition in on position (engine not started)
- - Fused ignition switch output shows correct voltage at instrument cluster connector (c1 white pin #7 db/wt)
- - Set the parking brake and light works fine
- - Cluster illumination lights passed test - illuminated when ignition off, park lamps turned on and set to highest setting
- - Continuity on ground from instrument cluster connector (c1 white pin #5 bk/lg) is good and ohms reading again 0 to .01
- Following the suggested Actuator Test
- - Chime heard - PASS
- - OD VFD scrolled all 8's- PASS
- - OD VFD showed "." - PASS
- - OD VFD showed "Sof 2.0" - PASS (I guess)
- - OD VFD did not show the VIN just all 0's - FAIL
- - OD VFD showed following faults: bus b0, bus b8, Open Panel
- - High Beam - PASS
- - Brake - PASS
- - Seatbelt - PASS
- - MIL - PASS
- - Check Gauges - PASS
- - Low Fuel - PASS
- - Full Time - PASS
- - Part Time - PASS
- - SKIS - FAIL (did not illuminate)
- - Cruise - PASS
- - Upshift - PASS
- - All Needles - PASS

bus b0 - is PCM-MIL Message...the cluster is not receiving a MIL lamp message with instruction to refer to DRBIII codes. (ODBII shows no codes)
bus b8 - is ACM-Airbag Message...the cluster is not receiving an Airbag lamp message from the ACM with instructions to refer to DRBIII codes (ODBII shows no codes).
Panel Open - Panel Sense-Open Circuit....the cluster is not receiving an input from the panel lamps dimmer circuitry of the left multifunction switch - repair open circuit or replace switch.

Not getting any codes on my scanner but also don't own the expensive DRBIII scanner.

Because of the Pane Open message I replaced both the multifunction switch and the switch connector (the connector almost fell apart when I started to undo it). However did not solve my problem. When I initially replaced the multifunction switch connector - before trying the switch itself - and reconnected the battery and turned it over I initially got a "no fuse" indication from the OD VFD but it went away when the car cranked over and I have not been able to duplicate that again - seems unrelated but I'll let you be the judge.

So there you have it....suggestions?

Last edited:
Reactions: Wranglerfix
Quick additional update:

I noticed that the mileage on the OD is not changing when I drive the jeep.

In addition when I hook up my ODB2 scanner (Autel MaxiScan MS309) I do not get a VIN only a Calibration ID - am I wrong in thinking that the PCM/ECU has not been calibrated to the correct VIN? Would this cause the problem?

My guess is you have a PCM issue, that's what was replaced. I think @Wranglerfix might be able to do a reality check on whatever was done to your PCM. Sounds like you've really covered all the bases pretty well. Although his black magic is primarily the 05-06 I'd say there aren't many more versed around here with these issues.