2002 4.0 Wrangler X

Marc L

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
As most of you know I bought this a few months ago. The motor had a slight tick to it when I bought which I thought was a exhaust leak. I was wrong. The motor now sound like a diesel with all the clatter. I'm thinking it needs the valves/lifters adjusted. Are they adjustable and is it hard to do?
Thanks in advance!

It's pretty normal for these things to tick a lot on startup, especially on cold mornings. It usually goes away after 30 seconds at most with any 4.0 I've ever owned. However, if your tick is constant, extremely loud, and never goes away, you need to have your valves / lifters checked, but also your bottom end, as it could be rod knock as well (much less likely, but possible).

It's pretty normal for these things to tick a lot on startup, especially on cold mornings. It usually goes away after 30 seconds at most with any 4.0 I've ever owned. However, if your tick is constant, extremely loud, and never goes away, you need to have your valves / lifters checked, but also your bottom end, as it could be rod knock as well (much less likely, but possible).
Ok thanks, I guess that will be my next weekend project to adjust them. If it's still noisy then it's time to check her bottom out.

Good idea! I doubt it's the bottom end as these things are pretty bulletproof internally. However, it's happened before on occasion with engines that were mistreated. Let us know what you find!

Good idea! I doubt it's the bottom end as these things are pretty bulletproof internally. However, it's happened before on occasion with engines that were mistreated. Let us know what you find!
I will... Won't be for a while. Have to get the garage ready for the Halloween Party.. Yes We throw a big one!

Reactions: Chris
They are adult only.. We really dress up. I think we would scare the kiddos.. LOL

PA301274 - Copy.JPG