2002 radio volume knob trouble

TeeJohn

The radio volume knob in 2002 doesn’t respond as it should. Often the volume will increase no matter which way I turn it. A quick spin with my finger often helps. Sometimes a slow deliberate “click” works okay.
Is it toast? Anyone have a miracle cure aside from digging into it? I’m thinking about a 2D swap but I hate to drop that much money into a radio for a Jeep. I don’t like the idea of a regular size aftermarket swap, appearance wise.

The radio volume knob in 2002 doesn’t respond as it should. Often the volume will increase no matter which way I turn it. A quick spin with my finger often helps. Sometimes a slow deliberate “click” works okay.
Is it toast? Anyone have a miracle cure aside from digging into it? I’m thinking about a 2D swap but I hate to drop that much money into a radio for a Jeep. I don’t like the idea of a regular size aftermarket swap, appearance wise.
Keep your radio and dig into it. Could be something simple.

Pick up a rebuilt one from here:
https://1factoryradio.com/

It's likely the volume control is just really dirty inside. Try this as a band-aid temporary fix. Spin the volume control knob back & forth as long as your fingers can take doing it, that often cleans it up enough inside that it will behave for a while.

Did you ever figure out a way to resolve this? I’m having the same issue in my 02 Wrangler

I gave up and bought a refurbished unit. Spinning the volume knob helped a little once or twice but I gave up on it.

The same thing happened to me on my 06. It gave me the excuse to swap it out for a 7" touchscreen unit with apple car play and a backup camera. Super happy with the new setup. Mine has a front camera too which is really cool.

The same thing happened to me on my 06. It gave me the excuse to swap it out for a 7" touchscreen unit with apple car play and a backup camera. Super happy with the new setup. Mine has a front camera too which is really cool.

thank you. Going to see how frustrating it becomes.