2002 Wrangler TJ automatic vibrating during acceleration

kellydog

2002 Wrangler Sport
Supporting Member
I have read several posts. My 2003 TJ with an automatic 32RH transmission vibrates when I accelerate hard from a stop. No issues felt with a slow gradual start.
I have read many posts. The one describing the feeling/noise as a rumble strip best describes it. Their solution was u-joints on the rear drive shaft. I just replaced both of them and still hear/feel the vibration. It quickly goes away. Thought it was the transmission, so I put it in Drive with the break on hard and hit the gas. It didn’t slip.
What other part of the drive train during acceleration can cause this wild vibration/shake when accelerating from a stop? Again, it happens and goes away quickly.
Thanks, Steve

Does it have any lift to it? Has it always done this or just recently? Have you removed the rear drive shaft and driven it in 4 hi?

No. Figures since I was in 2wd, the front would not be the culprit. Is that a possibility?

I recently bought it. Only 82k miles on it. I do not know if it had the issue when I bought it. I didn’t notice. I immediately put in the new tires and rims because 2 of the tires were originals believe it or not. All dry rotted.

If it were mine, I would remove the rear drive shaft because it's easier and run it in 4Hi and see what it does. If it vibrates, rebuild the front drive shaft, if it doesn't I would put the rear back on and remove the front to see what happens.

Sorry for the the delay. I do appreciate the ideas. I installed a new transmission mount. No change. I removed the rear drive shaft as suggested and put it in 4H. It did not vibrate when accelerating. Put the drive shaft back on. I had just installed new ujoints as another attempt. Back in 2H and the vibration is back.
I put on 31” tires and rims from 2020 Gladiator. Had to use a spacer to change to bolt pattern. I do not know if I had a problem before the tires change. Had to change tires quickly because they were dry rotted and 2 were originals believe it or not.

So it sounds like it is related to the rear driveshaft.

Can you take a photo showing the angle of the transfer case, driveshaft, and differential pinion?

In an ideal setup with a stock rear driveshaft, the differential pinion and the transfer case output axis must be parallel. If they are not, vibrations can result.

Also check the bushings on the trackbar and control arms on the rear axle. If any of them are shot, you could be getting excessive differential movement that is changing the angles under load.

Do the slip joints also move in and out smoothly? If they don't, they can put axial load on the driveshaft as the suspension moves, creating excessive vibration and wear.

You could try replacing the driveshaft altogether, but that may not be necessary yet. If you have significant lift, you may want to go to a slip yoke eliminator and double cardan rear driveshaft.

Does your TCase a have spacer? It sounds like the new tires and lift on the Jeep is causing drive shaft vibration. More than likely you dont have a TCase drop. People who put spacers on the TCase is cheap fix. It usually correct the the driveshaft angle and reduces the driveshaft vibrations.

20200624_175612.jpg
20200624_175625.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a picture of my drive shaft. I think the Jeep is completely stock other than the tires and wheels that I put on.

561E8B3C-604E-44E3-BB2B-12D2046F659D.jpeg

Here is a picture of my drive shaft. I think the Jeep is completely stock other than the tires and wheels that I put on.

View attachment 171967
That looks relatively mild. The pinion angle might be a bit high, but not enough to make a significant difference.

It looks like you have stock control arms. It might be worth looking at the bushings to see if they are dry rotted or worn out. 18 years of wear and tear can do a number on them. Fortunately, stock bushings and even whole stock control arms are cheap.

View attachment 171967
You need to take a picture of the T-Case skid plate!
I need to see if you have a spacer?
I'm guessing you don't have one.
You can put $1000 SYE or put in a $25 spacer and drop the TCase angle.
Your driveshaft has too much angle.
Look at my post about drive angles.

Reactions: Steel City 06
You need to take a picture of the T-Case skid plate!
I need to see if you have a spacer?
I'm guessing you don't have one.
You can put $1000 SYE or put in a $25 spacer and drop the TCase angle.
Your driveshaft has too much angle.
Look at my post about drive angles.
Does @kellydog have a lift? We should determine that before recommending dropping the skid. Based on that picture, dropping the skid might make it worse, not better

I do not believe that I have any type of lift. I just bought this and was told it was all stock. From what I can see, I think that is true.

I just changed the transmission mount so I know that there are no spacers on the skid plate. Thought for sure that the trans mount would fix the problem. Just looked at the bushings on the control arms. Had a little play. Didn’t seem too terribly bad. Not sure what is acceptable.

I just changed the transmission mount so I know that there are no spacers on the skid plate. Thought for sure that the trans mount would fix the problem. Just looked at the