2002 Wrangler with 32RH transmission: lack of acceleration

Medali

TJ Enthusiast
Hello everybody.
I am new to the forum and also new to the world of jeep since I have just acquired my jeep wrangler sport 2002 4.0 automatic.
I love this car, especially its look and I would like to stay with it as long as possible.
the little problem I have at the moment is in terms of driving ... I have the impression that my vehicle lacks a bit of power ... especially when it comes to shifting gears I feel that the gearbox changes too quickly the 1st and especially the 2nd speed to arrive in 3rd gear with too low speed (gearbox 32rh).
especially it implies a lack of acceleration ...
it should be noted that it is equipped with 33 '' wheels.
I do not know is it normal or not?
and if not, is there a way for the gearshift to be different and for me to have more acceleration ...?
because usually in the new automatic gearbox puts on S (sport) and the speeds take a little more time to change ...
Can the solution be a reprogramming at the level of the gearbox for example ...?
Thank you in advance and thank you for having accepted me in your group.

Regearing your axles to a 4.10 ratio will, if the transmission itself is ok, completely fix your low performance caused by the 33" tires. Look for the axle ratio tag on the differential cover, it will tell you what your current axle ratio is which is going to be either 3.07 or 3.73. A 3.07 ratio would give you terrible performance and terrible acceleration.

Have you checked the transmission's ATF level? Start the engine and after setting the parking brake, shift into Neutral and check the ATF level. It must be in Neutral and the engine must be running during your check to get an accurate ATF level.

Thank you very much, Jerry.
and it is easily done at the mechanic?
Not all mechanics can regear an axle to a lower ratio so search for a shop that is expert at regearing or installing new gears into axles. It is not easy to get that kind of a job done properly. :)

Yes, the ATF level of the transmission seems correct.
usually I wait until the engine temperature reaches 100 ° then I put on N and I measure ...
Otherwise it's true that I have not changed the filter of the gearbox yet ... I do not know if this can affect my problem ...

Yes, the ATF level of the transmission seems correct.
usually I wait until the engine temperature reaches 100 ° then I put on N and I measure ...
Otherwise it's true that I have not changed the filter of the gearbox yet ... I do not know if this can affect my problem ...
Look at your axle ratio tag and see if it says "3 07" or "3 73". If it says 3 07, meaning 3.07, that's the reason for the poor performance. But even if you have 3.73, that ratio is still not a great ratio for 33" tires.... .4.10 is ideal for your particular transmission.

The axle tag is located at the 9 o'clock position on the differential cover. This tag is indicating the axle has 3.73 gears inside.

Axle Ratio.jpg

Hello Jerry.
What do you recommend to me... Ratio 4.11 or ratio 4.56 ( speedo gear 35 or 39)? Knowing that my news wheels will be 33 /12.5 / 15

Thank you in advance

Hello Jerry.
What do you recommend to me... Ratio 4.11 or ratio 4.56 ( speedo gear 35 or 39)? Knowing that my news wheels will be 33 /12.5 / 15
4.11 is appropriate for 33" tires and your 3-speed 32RH automatic transmission. Both axles will need to be regeared.

Hello Jerry

after thinking, i think it's a bit risky to regeering my axles here in Tunisia because it's not a frequent spot for mechanics here despite the fact that there are some very good mechanics here in Tunis. I think the best solution for me is to plan a trip to Europe (Italy maybe) with my vehicle and take the opportunity to make all the necessary réparations to a professional jeep. the trouble is that I could not organize for this trip before minimum 7 or 8 months ... during these 8 months I would like to try to make the maximum of improvements on my jeep ... I thought I changed my speedometer gear to the one that corresponds to my current configuration (ie 33 "and 3.07 gear so speedometer 26 teeth). I wanted to have your opinion, will it be a waste of money to change a 26-tooth speedometer with my current configuration or will I feel a slight improvement in the performance of my vehicle? speed, more power, less consumption ...)? what does Jerry tell you

Changing the speedo gear will correct the speedometer, but performance will not be affected. With 33" tires, it will still feel sluggish and underpowered until the axle gears can be changed to 4.10.

Reactions: Medali
You are going to spend roughly $40 on a speedo gear, then change your diff gears and possibly spend another $40 to change your speedo again. Unless your original gear works. Either way you will be wasting money for first gear change. Not to mention your time.

Reactions: Medali
I think that you are right... May be I have to wait until changing my diff gear.. Hope that I can do it as soon as possible..
Thank you Guys