2003-2006 Hardtop Wiring

I'm working on this project and I was wondering if there is any value to keeping all of the excess parts of the donor harnesses after I've removed the parts I need. Would any of the connectors or the fuse box be of use to anyone or should I just toss it all? Thanks.

Reactions: Geep
I'm working on this project and I was wondering if there is any value to keeping all of the excess parts of the donor harnesses after I've removed the parts I need. Would any of the connectors or the fuse box be of use to anyone or should I just toss it all? Thanks.
Definitely keep the plugs. These are hard to source and can be useful if someone has to make a harness. Assuming of course there is enough wire to splice into them!

Reactions: Rcroane
I can't find the C107 connector on my donor dash harness. I have the C202 connector and the C170 connectors. Is the C107 connector not supposed to be on the dash harness? Thanks.

I've identified the C107 connector on the body harness, but I just can't find the dash side of that connector.

EDIT: I went out and looked at the existing wiring in my '06 without a hardtop. I have the dash and body connectors for C202, C107, and C170 all on the left side of the driver's footwell. But, with my donor harnesses ('04), I have dash and body for C202, body for C107 (no dash side) and dash for C170 (no body side). Nothing was cut from these donor harnesses, they just don't have the dash side C107 or the body side C170. I'm stumped. I'm trying to figure out from Scoutmapper's diagram whether I can make this work.

I'd appreciate any guidance you can offer. Thanks.

Last edited:
I am thinking about doing a write-up on making your own harness too since its so similar and avoids some of the terminal pins but not all. I'd say the hard part of making your own harness would be figuring out what terminal pins you need to fit the factory connectors. Some cannot be avoided unless you start cutting your harness which is worrisome. The upside to making your own harness is you can do inline fuses and bypass C202 connectors but that is about all. You still need to add terminal pins to C170, C107, and C2 the instrument cluster.
Quick question about this....I'm using donor harnesses rather than making my own, but can I still bypass the C202 connector by just joining those wires together with spade connectors (I use the open barrel type)? The only reason I'd want to bypass the C202 is it just seems a little tight to get up in there to insert the additional 4 wires.

Quick question about this....I'm using donor harnesses rather than making my own, but can I still bypass the C202 connector by just joining those wires together with spade connectors (I use the open barrel type)? The only reason I'd want to bypass the C202 is it just seems a little tight to get up in there to insert the additional 4 wires.
Yes that is correct, you can bypass but also know that you can get to that connector by pulling it off the "mount" and maybe even pulling the speaker to get better access.

Last edited:
To help with things, here is the installation kit instructions for a 2003-06 hardtop...back when they still made them.

Attachments

• 2003-06 Wrangler Hartop Wiring Kit Installation.pdf
    403.9 KB · Views: 282
Reactions: Ironman and Rcroane
To help with things, here is the installation kit instructions for a 2003-06 hardtop...back when they still made them.
Thanks. Dumb question....in Step 31 it looks like they are putting the Wiper Motor wire in the front side of the fuse box.....goes in the back, right?

Thanks. Dumb question....in Step 31 it looks like they are putting the Wiper Motor wire in the front side of the fuse box.....goes in the back, right?
great question. I scratched my head forever on that one too. I think its just plain wrong in their diagram. That is all I could figure out. They should have made the wire look like it was behind using dashed lines or something...or maybe it came with a fuse tap.

Sorry, one more question. When looking at the various connectors on your diagram (C202, C107, and C170), the body side of the connector is on the left and the dash side is on the right, correct? Thanks.

@Scoutmapper....working on installing the hardtop harness into my '06 and wanted to check with you on something. As per your diagram, I removed pin #2 from C170 (I/P side) of my donor '04 harness. In the FSM, it is labeled as "C81 20LB/WT (HARD TOP)". But, in the '06 FSM, pin #2 for C170 (I/P side) is labeled as "C115 20DB". Shouldn't the pin descriptions match for the two years? I realize the wire colors probably wouldn't match, but why would the '06 not refer to hardtop in the description of pin #2. Is that because the '06 harness isn't for a hardtop model? I that's probably the case but just wanted to check with you before inserting the donor wire into the '06 harness.

Thanks, and sorry if my description of the issue is confusing.

EDIT: I think I'm good to go. I saw on your diagram that the hardtop wire from C170 goes to the new relay in the PDC. Using my VOM, I traced the wire coming from pin #2 on the dash side of C170 to the relay socket for the new relay. I got positive continuity in one of the relay sockets in the power distribution center.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scoutmapper
Glad you traced it. That is also what I hard to do. That '06 FSM doesn't seem right because that points to a locker switch. Keep me posted on what you learn.

Glad you traced it. That is also what I hard to do. That '06 FSM doesn't seem right because that points to a locker switch. Keep me posted on what you learn.
How do you know it points to a locker switch? Is that what the C115 means? And I should have been more specific in my previous post....the positive continuity was at pin 2 of the defogger relay....just like your diagram shows.

I found a few minor problems in the '04 FSM, notes in my diagram indicating the issues. I remember one of them was a simple numbering problem with one of the connectors...listed something out of order.