2003 - 2009 Toyota 4Runner (N210 4th Generation) opinions?

zebra12

TJJ78 and TJJ77
Supporting Member
Neighbor just told me he may sell his 2005 4Runner, 4wd, SR5, 6 cylinder with 100k on the clock. It is nice and has been well maintained. I am thinking about buying it for my soon to be driving daughter. Price wasn't discussed. He is a great guy, and I expect a fair price.

Anyone here own have an ownership experiences with a 4th gen 4Runner?

I just bought a 2004 4runner last year. it had 63K miles with 3rd row seating. I paid about 8-9k for it.

Might want to make sure that it will engage 4Hi and 4lo. They have an actuator that operates the transfer case instead of a stick like our wranglers. They have a tendency to get gummed up if not used regularly and will fail to go into 4HI and 4Lo.

There are a few other issues for certain years. Some years had tendency for head gasket leaks.

https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/ has a ton of info for the 4th Gen 4Runner (2003-2009)

Reactions: zebra12
#1 rust
#2 make sure 4h/4l work
#3 HG are a concern, watch for a rough startup when cold.

They'll run pretty much forever. A lot of people have 250k+ on them without any major issues.
Way more capable that most people think they are too.

Reactions: zebra12
We had a 3rd Gen, '98. Bought at 75k mi. Then traded in at 275k miles.
Currently have a 5th Gen, 2016.
Besides the TJ, I've only owned Toyotas, 10 and counting.

Neighbor just told me he may sell his 2005 4Runner, 4wd, SR5, 6 cylinder with 100k on the clock. It is nice and has been well maintained. I am thinking about buying it for my soon to be driving daughter. Price wasn't discussed. He is a great guy, and I expect a fair price.

Anyone here own have an ownership experiences with a 4th gen 4Runner?

Curious if you ended up buying it?