2003 Black Wrangler X - Texas Jeep

PS. Does anyone know the trick to removed the plate for the shifter (Park, Neutral, Reverse, Drive, Low) from the shift lever itself (as you can see in the pic below)?
The handle comes off the shift lever with a good whack straight upwards.

This thing is going to be new when you get done with it? Maybe I missed it, but did you already replace the plugs? Great work.

I've bought a new coil rail and plugs. I want to do a compression test too when I do that.

Reactions: JMT
Sorry for so long since my last build thread post. Between maintaining my e-commerce store for Jeeps and working on the TJ, and my normal share of spousal to do items, I've been swamped.

Since my last post, here is what has been accomplished:

Flushed radiator, heater core, engine block, and overflow bottle
Installed new thermostat and housing
Installed new radiator hoses (upper and lower)
Installed new heater hoses (both)
Installed a new vacuum line along back firewall
Removed old coil rail and spark plugs
Compression tested engine - pretty normal for 208,500 miles
Installed new spark plugs and coil rail
Removed old front and rear diff covers and installed new red aluminum Alloy USA covers and new diff fluid

I still have a long list of refurbishment tasks before I even get to upgrading it. I've decided to do a 1" body lift that also replaces the existing bushings, since they are dry and cracked. Then I will do a 2" coil and shock lift along with replacing both front and rear track bars, an upgraded steering system, etc. I'm

Meanwhile, I'm pretty sure I need a new rear main seal, the drip continues even after the new valve cover and gasket. I'm going to take it to a shop to get done since my garage is not equipped for the task. While the shop has the oil pan off are there some other things that I get them to do since the bottom is opened up?

While I was replacing the vacuum line, I need to removed the battery and batter tray to get to where it terminates and decided to wire brush the surface rust off the battery tray and give it a quick Rustoleum spray, there was hardly any rust but I thought I would clean it up while I had it out.

The pics below are: the spray painted battery tray, the engine compartment with all the new shiny stuff, and a before and after pic of the front diff, I got too carried away with finishing the rear that I didn't get a before pic, but all you have to do is look under any other 2003 Jeep TJ with a Dana 35 and you'll see what the before looks like....LOL

IMG_0479.jpeg

IMG_0476.jpeg

IMG_0484.jpeg

IMG_0485.jpeg

IMG_0486.jpeg

Last edited:
My apologizes for the lack of posting on my build/restore/refurbish of the 2003 TJ. The work I've been doing has had a few misc postings dealing with install issues, but mostly there hasn't been much to post about or to share any pics of the work that's been getting done. Here is a list of the things that have been accomplished since the last post:

1) I pulled all the spark plugs and installed new Iridium tipped Auto Lites, along with a new coil rail

2) I also pulled the fuel rail and injectors. Installed refurbished injectors and a new fuel rail since old one looked pretty bad (after 208,500 miles its no wonder)

3) While I had the fuel rail off, I installed new manifold, fuel rail and injector insulation blankets from Design Engineering. That cleaned up the look amazingly well.

4) I also installed new transmission hoses from the factory metal ones to the radiator. This is a temporary update until I pull the grill to paint it and then install the B&M transmission cooler at that point.

5) I then removed the transmission skid plate to get better access to the transmission oil pan. i dropped the pan, removed the old gasket, resealed the pan and topped off the tranny fluids. I did have an issue with the nutserts, which I ended cutting out and putting news ones in.

6) As you may see in other threads, I also inspected all the pinions seals for signs of leaks and the only one that was wet was the front differential seal. Getting it off was straight forward with a bit of effort, but getting the new one back on was a bit of a struggle. In the end, I used the seal that I got from my local Mopar dealer which did not have the cover/oil slinger, but it fit like a glove (if you had to use a wooden block and ball peen hammer to put gloves on)

7) Starting tomorrow, I am dropping the transfer case skid plate (the larger one, as I already have the transmission skid off to service the transmission). I already have a bottle jack with wood block supporting the transmission and my floor jack supporting the skid itself. I've removed the four nuts holding the transfer case to the skid and have loosened one thread each of the six bolts that hold the skid, luckily no spinning nutserts so far. If so, I know how to cut them out and re-install new ones.

Finally, Santa Claus has started delivering my new parts to start the upgrade part of this build thread. So far he has brought me - brands are a surprise until I get some pics and links:

- a cat back exhaust system with black tipped tail pipe (its a black Jeep)
- four two inch lift coils and four two inch longer shocks
- a steering stabilizer and bracket to mount it

St. Nick claims that he has given FedEx for delivery to my garage these additional parts:

- eight adjustable control arms (uppers in black, lowers in red)
- replacement transfer case cable
- two track bars (front and rear) in red
- rear sway bar and longer end links (front and rear)
- new steering cross over kit with new drag link and tie rod (in red)
- one inch aluminum spacer body lift kit that also replaces the stock rubber mounts
- one motor mount lift set

I also still need to get the rear main seal replaced, but I've decided to let a Jeep garage handle that, if I had a lift I would try it, but without a lift it looks a bit tight for me to tackle it.

Today was an eventful day in the garage on the 2003 TJ project Jeep. Here is what was accomplished, with a few pics.

1) Installed four new O2 sensors. I didn't have any codes, but in trying to update as many serviceable things as I can on a 16 year old Jeep, these were next on my list.

2) Supported the transmission with a bottle jack and dropped the transfer case skid plate. The was amazing little rust, just bit of surface rust around the bolt holes and where the skid made contact with the frame. I used a wire brush on my drill and took all of the surface rust off both the skid and the frame and gave it a quick shot of flat black Rustoleum. Here are both skids with the touch ups done, but the factory paint looks great - I even power washed the old grease and dirt build up.

IMG_0539.jpeg

3) Next I drained the transfer case at topped off with fresh ATF+4 fluid.

4) Since the transfer case skid was off, I decided to tear out the old cat-back muffler and tailpipe. Thank you Dewalt sawzall for making it a 15 min project.

IMG_0541.jpeg

5) I then broke open one of the many boxes of new parts to install.

Here is old system and the new Banks Power Monster Exhaust System. I like the beefier sound, solid without being annoying.
IMG_0543.jpeg

Don't worry, the old bumper is a gonner, but I am still deciding on what to replace it with.....

IMG_0544.jpeg

If your garage is like mine, you'll end up with a massive cache of parts before you even have time to install them, haha.

In my case, at one point I had probably 50 different very large boxes (all with Jeep parts) in them sitting in my garage. You could hardly walk in there. I finally got them all installed, but it took months to get it all done.

Reactions: Mikester86
If your garage is like mine, you'll end up with a massive cache of parts before you even have time to install them, haha.

In my case, at one point I had probably 50 different very large boxes (all with Jeep parts) in them sitting in my garage. You could hardly walk in there. I finally got them all installed, but it took months to get it all done.

I had to rent a storage unit nearby (10 x 10) to store all the parts I've taken off the Jeep and started to bring things (new) over there to store too. The spousal unit was unhappy with all the "clutter" so for now the storage unit and the back of the Jeep itself is piled with boxes and I was just notified that all the control arms, track bars, tie rod and drag link will arrive later this week. I haven't even settled on the front and rear bumpers yet, let alone new carpeting and seat covers/skins.

• Haha
Reactions: Chris
I had to rent a storage unit nearby (10 x 10) to store all the parts I've taken off the Jeep and started to bring things (new) over there to store too. The spousal unit was unhappy with all the "clutter" so for now the storage unit and the back of the Jeep itself is piled with boxes and I was just notified that all the control arms, track bars, tie rod and drag link will arrive later this week. I haven't even settled on the front and rear bumpers yet, let alone new carpeting and seat covers/skins.

Well you’ve officially got a Jeep problem then, that’s for sure. I think my Jeep is actually what started the addiction of always feeling the need to have a package being delivered to me every day.

I equate it to a gambler playing a slot machine. Even if you aren’t winning, it’s that addiction of pulling the lever every time.

Amen.

I can't stop looking at it and saying "I could add this......" "I should take that off and replace it......" With all the boxes I have and are on the way, I still haven't replaced the carpet, the seat skins/covers, bumpers, new soft top, wheels, tires......... Hello my name is Bob and I am a Jeep addict.....

Well the project went into a multi-day stall due to the exhaust system install issues. The front hanger was misaligned by several inches and after taking to Banks tech support the mystery was solved....DOH! I had removed the transmission and transfer case skid plates to service both items and to replace the transfer case linkage in preparation for a body lift.

Despite the fact that I had a jack supporting the transmission, the transfer case and attached exhaust system (cat) had dropped enough to cause an alignment problem with the exhaust hangers. Once I re-installed both skids plates (what a trick that is), I was able to finalize the exhaust install without an issue.

I want to point out the transfer case linkage replacement because of how clean of an install it is and it support the impending body lift. Here is the factory linkage that I removed:

IMG_0553.jpeg

And here is the Steinjager replacement cable installed with a link to the cable for TJ 1997-2006, here is a link to the Steinjager cable for the Rubicon (same years). It is so much cleaner of an install and works great.

IMG_0583.jpeg

Lastly, I want to shout out to the broken bolt gods about the pay it forward good karma I earned this week. While working on the Banks exhaust issue, I noticed that the front hanger bracket was only being held by one bolt. On inspecting closer, I saw that a previous owner had broken the head off the lower bolt holding the bracket. Rather than leave it that way, the OCD in me made me remove the upper bolt and bracket, drilled out the broken bolt and tapped and re-inserted a new bolt to hold the bracket firmly as god and our Jeep overlords had intended.

Reactions: TJ Starting
Great thread, the Jeep gods will be pleased with the level of dedication you've been putting in!! I've had my '00 since February, it definitely needs similar TLC. Unfortunately the Diesel gods demand a new power plant for the tow pig first. I may just use your thread as a basis for a check list of things I should be doing besides just doing upgrades...

Got the gears turning now!!! Thanks :unsure:

Reactions: BobK and Mikester86
The last two days were consumed with the 1" body lift from M.O.R.E. (Mountain Off-Road Enterprises) using their 1" aluminum pucks. That was my entertainment for Friday night. Luckily, there were no stuck body bolts, although two of them were very tight and squeaked on the way out. I used a breaker bar to get them loose a thread or two before I used the impact wrench to drive them out.

Here is a pic of the M.O.R.E. kit which includes their aluminum pucks and bolts as well as the radiator bumpers that get replaced during the body lift.. Pictured is also their 1" motor mount lifts and steering linkage 1" lift bracket, the poly bushings to replace the stock bushings are a Daystar product. the lone fender washer isn't sued if you are doing both the body lift and the motor mount life. It is only used if you do a body lift only to deal with adjusting the radiator fan shroud. Since I was doing both, it just went into my spare parts bin.

IMG_0586.jpeg

The body lift was done on Friday and it wasn't that big of a deal. The only issue I had was the front two (side) body mounts were just a shade smaller than the poly bushings metal sleeves. I suspect some corrosion had built up in the hole. I pulled out my trusty Dremel and used a sanding wheel to clean out the opening and then the bushing slipped right in.

On Saturday it felt like I had been wrestling an alligator. I mean installing a 1" motor mount lift (MML) and a 1" lifted steering linkage bracket (all part of the M.O.R.E. kit). All is done, it took about six hours. If I dropped one more wrench or lost track of my flashlight one more time, I was going to scream. I'll bet I spent an hour looking for something that was dropped or right in front of me, but I couldn't see it. I spend another hour getting the correct size wrench, socket, extension, screw driver, impact wrench, etc.

The job went fairly well, it took a bit of playing around on both sides to get the jacked height of the engine to match up with the newly inserted motor mounts so that the pass through bolt could be lined up. In the end, the passenger side didn't need any grinding to eliminate any interference between the frame and the motor bracket, it end up clearing by about 1/4 inch, which is good enough for me.

I was exhausted and hungry, so tomorrow I will do a final check to ensure all bolts follow the German method of tightening bolts.....good-en-tite

Drove the Project TJ to a local shop today to have them fix the rear main seal. Of course it was like an old horse headed back to its barn (same shop the previous owner used) and the TJ decided to throw a CEL on the way there. I went ahead and asked them to check it out. Likely I jostled something with the BL or MML this past weekend (my guess is an O2 sensor) but they gladly added that to my tab.

More to come when the TJ finds it way home.

Reactions: reddvltj