2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ no start, no click

rickpritchard

I am currently having an issue with my 2003 Jeep TJ Sahara.

It drove fine for about an hour yesterday, and then I parked it for 3 hours. When I came back out it would not start. It doesn't attempt to turn over and there may or may not be a faint click once. I had tried jumping it to no success.
Some info about my jeep:

It's an automatic.
-The battery is 2 years old and has about 8000 kms on it with no previous issues.
-Since I have bought it , about 35000 KMS ago if I try to start it twice within a minute or two, it stutters to start the second time, but every other time it starts fine.
-The lights and dash lights work and do not dim when I have tried to start it today.
-Also since I have bought it, it has had a loose key, the key is able to come out a bit, and shuts off the radio when it does.

So I am not mechanically inclined, but I figure I have a few options before towing it to the mechanic:
Testing the battery.
Checking voltage on the lines to the starter.
Checking the relay.

I guess my question is, what other options could I try before towing it?
Also I don't own anything to test the voltage, what meter should I buy that's reasonable for someone with my experience.

Thank you,

Rick

I had a 98 XJ years ago. It had a neutral safety switch on the transmission that would get gummed up and result in symptoms similar to that. Try shifting it through the gear range on the automatic, even slamming it forward into park. May allow the switch to catch up and let you start it.

if that works for you, you’ll want to search and get some info on cleaning it. It’s a simple couple hour (or less) job.

that’s all I’ve got.

In the case of an emergency, I would just pick up the closest available multimeter that would allow me to test for DC power. Price range or brand really isn't important for basic diagnostic purposes. I'm pretty sure any multimeter will allow you to check DC voltage and continuity testing. Those will be the two that you will probably use the most.

With that said, knowing the current state of your battery's voltage would be the first thing I would check. The first things that come to my mind are, the ignition switch pin activator, the ignition switch itself, (maybe) the lock cylinder, or the cam position sensor. Someone may need to correct me on that last one. I don't recall for sure if a faulty CPS will allow the engine to turn over or not.

Chris' thread here may be of some help. If for nothing else except to rule out the ignition activator pin as being the culprit.
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-drive-home-if-your-ignition-pin-actuator-breaks.10902/

I had something similar with my Jeep, clicked the first time, wouldnt turn over, etc.

However because it was a manual, I was able to roll it down the hill it was parked on and bump start it. (For those that dont know, a manual transmission vehicle can be started by putting the key in the run position, putting it in second gear, and popping the clutch while it is rolling)
It started, but was shaky and would start to die if I let the RPMs get low. I drove it about 35 miles before it died, and all the symptoms I saw while I was driving (lights getting dimmer) pointed that it was the alternator.
Swapped a new one in on the side of the road and drove it the rest of the way home.

If your voltage gauge has been doing the thing where it drops to reading '0' volts and the check gauges light comes on, be sure to check your alternator.
If this has never happened, go through the other items listed in those other responses.

Measuring the battery voltage without having an understanding of what to expect and what is normal would be counterproductive. A nearly dead battery can still measure 12 volts before trying to start the engine.

And if a battery is dead enough, a jump start battery may not work since a dead battery can suck enough power out of the jump start battery so it would be unable to start the engine.

At this point I would charge the battery overnight and expect everything to be fine afterward. If you don't own a charger now is a good time to get one. One with 8-15 amps of charging power would be fine. Walmart should have something suitable, perhaps like this... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KNMKRU8/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: bedhed
I just had a very similar issue. Drove the Jeep and parked it. When I tried to turn it back on after 3 hours, nothing. No lights, no clicks.

I tried to jump it with the NOCO and got 1 click, then nothing again. I hooked up my battery tender and it read that the battery had a full charge.

Reading thru the forum, it was suggested that the battery connections were bad. Even though the clamps were tight, I removed them, hit them with a scouring pad and put them back on. Jeep started right away and has been fine since.

Before trying the other paths, give that a try, it's free.

Thanks for the replies , I did some basics such as clean up the battery terminals, swap relays. I was kind of limited as I had to do it on my lunch break. My jeep did not start after. I have no tested the battery as I've been working since my original post. I did however crawl underneath and noticed some loose wiring to my starter and an oil leak that has been steady onto it. Pretty sure the wiring is corroded to the starter. Kind of hard to see, but here is a picture.

IMG_20200219_231641.jpg

A quick easy test you can do is remove the starter relay and jump the terminal. Put your key in the run position, make sure the transmission is in P or N, jumper the terminals in the picture below and see if it starts. What you are doing with this little procedure is bypassing the ignition switch and manually connecting the starter to the battery. If it starts then you know the ignition switch/actuator is probably the culprit - if it still doesn't crank then you have an issue between the battery and the starter itself.

1582204775988.png

My 04 LJ's problem was the starter actuator pin broke in the ignition. If everything else checks out try the actuator.
I would suggest you replace the ignition switch while your in there. Got my parts on Amazon, much cheaper and Doorman parts. Watch the u-tube it's a pretty easy job.