2003 Rubicon: Can you drive with a bad camshaft synchronizer?

doktormane

TJ Enthusiast
The camshaft synchronizer unit on my 03 Rubicon has started ticking. I removed the camshaft sensor and the pulse ring is wobbly. Is it okay to drive it this way or am I risking way too much? Like an engine failure?

Thanks!

I definitely wouldn’t, if the part fails (which it sounds like you’re flirting with) it’ll likely grenade the engine.

No chance I would be driving it like that.

Also, what is a "camshaft synchronizer"? Are you talking about the OPDA?

And how did you get a TJ Rubicon in the UK? Did you import it there?

Not to question the people helping me but wouldn't a failed OPDA just mess up the timing and result in a non-working engine as opposed to destroying it?

Not to question the people helping me but wouldn't a failed OPDA just mess up the timing and result in a non-working engine as opposed to destroying it?
I suppose that could happen. Failure for most people probably would result in the vehicle not running. I was born under a bad sign, failure for me would take out the engine, transmission and both differentials and flatten the spare tire.

I've never heard of them grenading shrapnel into the engine, but I suppose anything is possible. I just replaced my whole assembly strictly as a maintenance item. Saved the old one as a spare. If you have a buddy coming through here, you can have mine. Naturally if I give it to you my new one will fail within 24 hours. If I keep it, it will last 29 years.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IY3IKM/?tag=wranglerorg-20

• Haha
Reactions: JMT
When the OPDA fails it can take out the oil pump drive. (Actually it is the oil pump drive.) And that can do more than just make it not run.

Reactions: astjp2
When the OPDA fails it can take out the oil pump drive. (Actually it is the oil pump drive.) And that can do more than just make it not run.
Wouldn't that make the oil pressure gauge react therefore giving me enough time to pull over?

Another question with regard to the OPDA. Is there any way to see if it has been replaced? I have an 06 LJ with the 4.0 (60K miles). Have been considering replacing as stated above “as a maintenance item”. But hate to do it if it has already been changed

Another question with regard to the OPDA. Is there any way to see if it has been replaced? I have an 06 LJ with the 4.0 (60K miles). Have been considering replacing as stated above “as a maintenance item”. But hate to do it if it has already been changed
Well you can swap it pretty easy...getting a crown one up to delta is the hard part. Napa is good for a lot up there, but its not the part you need. Tim

Well you can swap it pretty easy...getting a crown one up to delta is the hard part. Napa is good for a lot up there, but its not the part you need. Tim
I actually can get a Crown on Amazon, Just trying to determine if the one on the jeep is a crown, OEM or other manufacture. Looking for markings etc...

Just for shits and giggles. Since the OPDA controls when the engine fires and turns the oil pump, how can the OPDA stop firing the engine and keep it running long enough to run it out of oil pressure? Or, if the oil pump drive gear fails, how will the tone ring keep turning to keep the engine running without oil pressure?

Just for shits and giggles. Since the OPDA controls when the engine fires and turns the oil pump, how can the OPDA stop firing the engine and keep it running long enough to run it out of oil pressure? Or, if the oil pump drive gear fails, how will the tone ring keep turning to keep the engine running without oil pressure?
Things that make you go...HHHHmmm!!!