2003 TJ kick panel removal

Sharpermd

I'm trying to remove the interior plastic panel that sits under the driver's side sill. I am not even sure what to call it , but it seems to hide the wireing cable that extends to the rear of the Jeep. The existing one seems to be twisted somewhat and half removed from the PO, and I can't tell what kind of clips/screws/bolts are left attaching it. I am tempted to try to "gently force" it, but don't want to risk breaking an interior panel needlessly! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry I don't have your answer, but I've had mine out several times now. IIRC, there were only a few screws holding it in. I just looked at mine, and removed whatever screws I saw.

The one in my '01 had one of those damned single-use retainers on a post in the well that you can see in the picture at the center of the large part of the panel. Like these

Only way I know of to get around them is to fiddle-flip with them using needle nose pliers, screw drivers, etc. to get them to bend until they break. I hate them.

Thanks for the input. I think mine is secured with the single-use retainers, unfortunately. I think I'll attack it with some needle nose pliers and hope for the best!

Thanks to everyone who responded! This is a great community.
It turns out that everyone was correct. The front attachment was a push-style washer attachment, and the rear attachment was a phillips head "screw" that was inserting into a plastic push style attachement! Not sure what was supposed to be in between or if these were OEM or previous owner placed!
Regardless, I did break some of the foreward-most panel, but I think with a washer or larger push style attachment it will be fine.
Pictures below!

IMG_20190226_223043.jpg

Last edited: